Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Bozeman September Trip (non-hunting/vacation)

TN_Rifle_Junkie

My wife and I were SERIOUSLY considering a trip to Bozeman in the early weeks of September (after Labor Day). We are in need of a looooong weekend vacation/camping/shopping trip and thought it would be a fun. It is our 10 year anniversary, and we go out west every year to hunt, but decided this year would be for "pleasure".

If anybody has a "cool thing" to do within 3 hours of BZN we are going to have a rental and don't mind traveling to do things not necessarily "downtown".

I am looking for some locals who might be interested in chiming in with things to do, "have to see" places, and best places to shop/dine. Specifically, we will be in the area for "boot" shopping so we are aware of Schnee's, Kenetrek, REI, and Sportsman locally in Bozeman. (No real mountain/hiking boots are to be had in Appalachia, and we are both picky shoe/boot shoppers)

And YES, I want your SECRET spots for dinner. LOL

If anyone is interested in getting together while we are in town, PM is best for dates, locations, etc.

Last edited:
We were there last summer and went to the Hot springs, I believe it was off the Gallatin Highway also the Dinosaur Museum... Other then that, I do not remember the restaurants we went to...

I dont take much from these sort of forums and topics. I also dont give much - here is a change.

I am not in Bozeman, but over in Park County. If you want to fish, have a fire down by the river, see a falcon fly (maybe - lets see where the new one is then), or just have a beer then give me a holler.

I dont take much from these sort of forums and topics. I also dont give much - here is a change.

I am not in Bozeman, but over in Park County. If you want to fish, have a fire down by the river, see a falcon fly (maybe - lets see where the new one is then), or just have a beer then give me a holler.
My wife would LOVE to do some fishing. (I am allergic - not really, but don't tell her) Definitely looking to do some new and interesting things.

Falconry is a dying art and I am sure we would definitely be willing to make a drive to visit for a day. I will be in touch once we get the dates locked down.

Schnees has the best boot selection (more than just Schnees brand) but it’s still limited in Bozeman in general. Stone Glacier also carries a few Krispi boots at their office/storefront.
There are many dud restaurants around. Whistle Pig Korean and Ale Works always have good food IMO. I would avoid Bozeman steakhouses unless you like to pay a lot for an OK dinner. Bison at Tedds is good but everything else (sides) isn’t.
If you haven’t seen elk rut Yellowstone is a must that time of year, you will be wanting to come back with your bow next year though (not in YNP of course). Guessing most HT’s in Bozeman will be hunting elk that time of year, I will be.

For breakfast, it’s hard to beat Main Street Over Easy. If you’re into Asian, Sweet Chili is really good. MacKenzie River has good pizza, and Montana Ale Works is a solid bar food choice with a cool ambiance. My last couple of experiences at Ted’s Montana Grill have been disappointing.

And of course, Randy would tell you not to miss the DQ!

My wife and I went to Bozeman last December for a long weekend to check the area out. Did a lot of driving just to get a sense of the area. As noted, the dinner spots we tried were underwhelming, but we did enjoy breakfast at the Western Cafe enough to go back a second day.

For your shopping trip I'd add Bob Ward's sports, they had a good selection of boots, and stop into both Stone Glacier and Mystery Ranch since both are headquartered in town.

Museum of the Rockies
Float the Madison
Drive up the east side of the Bridgers
Too many trailheads too name to hike
Ringing rock, Pipestone,
Tons of fishing

Food
Mama mac's,
Western cafe
Land of magic "steak"
Stacy's bar, I haven't been since new owners, was my favorite.
Lots of breweries here

Expect it to be crowded everywhere.

last few times I have been in Bozeangles for Breakfast it has been the Western Cafe or Jam! if I want eggs benedict. Also went out to Cafe Havana in Belgrade. The food was decent and something different.

If you get out in West Yellowstone, try Firehole BBQ. Not fine dining but good food.

Stop and have a drink at the Distillery in Ennis on the way to West Yellowstone

Bozeman Hot Springs is nice just be prepared for the weird Friday and Saturday hours.

Norris Hot Springs is fun if they are have music.

If you get through Livingston, I always make a stop at the Crust and Crumb bakery. They have great coffee and breakfast is above average IMO.

Lewis and Clark Caverns is an easy trip.

Bunches of places to go on a hike just been crazy the number of people and vehicles at every trail head the last few times I have gone.

Chico Hot Springs is cool and I had one of the best meals in a long time there.

Cafe Zydeco; very good legit Cajun. Cateye is good. I always liked Stacey's but it's been a good 8-10 years on that one. South 9th Bistro or Blackbird for something more pretentious.

Car rentals are tough right now, not sure what Sept looks like, you may want to check.

2nd YNP for elk
Big Sky has a lot of things going on, mtn biking, zip lines ect.
Chico Hot Springs
Sage Lodge if you want to get fancy
Norris Hot Springs

Stacey's has new owners, wasn't impressed, but I'll give them another chance.
Nordic Brew Works
Bridger Brewing
MAP Brewing

Museum of the Rockies
Float the Madison
Drive up the east side of the Bridgers
Too many trailheads too name to hike
Ringing rock, Pipestone,
Tons of fishing

Food
Mama mac's,
Western cafe
Land of magic "steak"
Stacy's bar, I haven't been since new owners, was my favorite.
Lots of breweries here
Thank you so much for the ideas, I have a lot of research to go over to find all these on Google. Awesome!

There appears to be a lot going on in the Bozeman Area. Thank you all for the input on food (it is the hardest to lock down). Day trips are always fun and finding new and interesting things to do make the trip enjoyable.

If anybody has a "cool thing" to do within 3 hours of BZN we are going to have a rental and don't mind traveling to do things not necessarily "downtown".

YNP is so close. Didn't even have that on the radar. Bison, geisers, and big waterfalls would be neat to see. I can definitely see a day-trip for this.
'Depends on relative term "close". Start very early, expect many "bison-jam" delays, 45 mph in YNP, much to see but not in a hurry. It is definitely worth the very long day, but more than one day is really needed.
YNP visitation is already up; record number for Memorial Day weekend. September visitation really ramps up during the elk rut.

Second MAP brewing. Pork belly sliders, excellent beer and a nice view.

The Museum is one of my favorites anywhere.

In September, a MSU home football game would be a great activity.

If I was in Bozeman looking to fish in early September, I’d be finding a boat/raft/fiat tube/old-pallet-with-floats and chasing ‘gulpers’ in Hebgen lake.

Back