Bows on Horseback?

Ben Long

I just returned from a horseback elk hunt. My buddy was hunting with a new compound bow. He carried it in a blowsling and vertically strapped to his pack, but the brush and trees knocked the hell out of it, eventually breaking it and ending his hunt. Any tips for carrying a bow on a horse in rugged timber?

Ive used bow scabbards several times didnt like the way they carried my bow so for last few trip Ive kept it over my shoulder in a sling resting against my leg felt much better about bow safety this way

Free tip with the horse mounted bow scabbard. I've bowhunted on horses 10 years. It is hard to mount a horse with extra clothes, a day pack, and making sure your boot clears the bow going over the saddle. I use a longbow or recurve so I made my own case out of the leg of old blue Jean's. Tied it up like a rifle case more parallel to horses body. If you are riding with 2 or more riders its important that no one takes off until all are mounted. One leaves or trys to leave they all take off. My uncle was on a guided elk bow hunt in Idaho. He is experienced horseman and bowhunted. His guide mounted up and did not wait for uncle to get completely mounted. Uncle got his boot hung between scabbard and horse, horse took off , bucked him off into a pile of rocks breaking 3 ribs. Ended his hunt. When we hunted together we would usually hold the others horse.

Free tip with the horse mounted bow scabbard. I've bowhunted on horses 10 years. It is hard to mount a horse with extra clothes, a day pack, and making sure your boot clears the bow going over the saddle. I use a longbow or recurve so I made my own case out of the leg of old blue Jean's. Tied it up like a rifle case more parallel to horses body. If you are riding with 2 or more riders its important that no one takes off until all are mounted. One leaves or trys to leave they all take off. My uncle was on a guided elk bow hunt in Idaho. He is experienced horseman and bowhunted. His guide mounted up and did not wait for uncle to get completely mounted. Uncle got his boot hung between scabbard and horse, horse took off , bucked him off into a pile of rocks breaking 3 ribs. Ended his hunt. When we hunted together we would usually hold the others horse.
Good advice! More people get hurt by horses than bears. While I was in the backcountry this year, we saw the local helicopter ambulance fly in to rescue an unfortunate gent who got his ribs crushed when his horse rolled on him.

I take my own horses, we know each other well. Riding some horse you never been on could be a rodeo...

I’ve found this type secure and easy to clear. My bow is shorter than the one pictured...

Attachments

• B5768BA5-871B-46F8-92D3-E399EFDFEE6D.jpeg
    B5768BA5-871B-46F8-92D3-E399EFDFEE6D.jpeg
    12.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I sure wish I had asks this question before the trip! Riding horseback while holding a bow and quiver of broadhead seems a bit dicey to me. If thrown, I'd hate to land on that.

Good advice! More people get hurt by horses than bears. While I was in the backcountry this year, we saw the local helicopter ambulance fly in to rescue an unfortunate gent who got his ribs crushed when his horse rolled on him.
Ben was this during rifle season? Curious what range you were in? I know a guy that had to get lifelighted off. It was one of my hunting buddies dad.

I have strapped it to my Exo pack in the back for the last couple years. Each year I tell myself I am not doing that anymore as Im either rubbing on the cantle or hitting branches above me. My buddy puts his in sideways on his metcalf but I dont like that either. Both high risk with spendy equipment. I have a scabbard like the one shown above. I will be using it this year. I use my own horse but Ive seen even a really good horse get spooked from time to time and buck a buddy off. He landed on his back and on his bow. He was lucky there was no damage to it. Im agreeing with the scabbard, especially when you have enough sh** in your pack for the day already.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back