Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Bowhunting Open Country Mule Deer

kad11

I recently read "Hunting Open Country Mule Deer" by Dwight Schuh and the style of hunting that he describes has really caught my imagination. After two seasons of attempting to bow hunt elk, I've realized that I just don't enjoy calling as a hunting tactic and want to give something new a try. I was wondering if any of you guys might be able/ willing to point me towards some badlands/ breaks country within Montana. I've never really been east of Billings so what I'm looking for are suggestions for general areas to check out this summer.

I've looked at the Terry Badlands WSA and it looks like awesome country, but I'm not sure what the deer population would be like in September and early October. The Pryor Mountains look interesting too but I'm not sure that I want to limit myself to one HD. I know the Missouri Breaks are supposed to be good deer hunting, but I've heard that the roads can be pretty bad and I drive a hippy Honda so those units are probably not the best option. There is also a lot of BLM south of Glendive, but it's hard to tell just how much variation in topography/ elevation is there.

I'd also enjoy talking to anyone that has done some high country mule deer bowhunting in Montana; I've got some areas in mind that I'd like to ask questions about but all the experienced hunters I know are focusing on elk during September.

Basically I'm looking for a fairly large area that has broken, open terrain that will allow me to spot a deer and then put a stalk on it while it is bedded. I'm not at all concerned about trophy potential but I would like to hunt bucks that are bigger than forked horns (3x3 or better and I'm letting an arrow fly).

Thanks for any and all input!

Lots of block management west of Glasgow that would fit the bill.

I have hunted a lot of Eastern Montana. I would recommend studying your maps and look for the hard to get from any road areas. I have found many decent Bucks this way. I too am going to try and harvest a nice Buck with my now this next year in either Eastern Montana or high elevations around Bozeman. It seems as if the Terry badlands is good but a lot of guys talk about it so I wonder if hunting close by it would be better? Your thoughts??

I would say that the deer population out this way isn't what it used to be. It's been 3 years since I've shot a buck now. That may be because I spend most of my time trying to get my wife, and boys bucks, but 7 years ago when I moved back I passed multiple bucks each year and still got my wife and I deer each year.

If you are worried about the roads I would be careful where you choose to hunt. To get to the Badlands you need to drive several miles of 2 track and if it gets wet, it is very similar to driving up in the breaks. We were in the Terry badlands during rifle season and saw a few small bucks but nothing we would pull the trigger on. A couple of them would have met your criteria though. It may be different during bow season since the area hasn't been pounded yet. The roads out by Knowlton will be similar but the country isn't quite as steep as the Terry Badlands.

Thanks for all the advice so far!

I'll have to take a look at my BMA maps and see what Glasgow looks like.

I've looked at Scenic View Rd on maps and it's hard to tell what kind of condition it's in so thanks for the head's up if it gets wet. Is there another access point to the Badlands from the southeast...Milwaukee Rd maybe? Since it's designated as a Wilderness Study Area am I correct in assuming that only foot or horse travel is allowed? It doesn't look like there are any roads running through the heart of that country so right now its my top choice for a several day backpack hunt during archery season.

Does anyone know anything about the Pryors (guaranteed draw permit south of Billings)?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back