Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bow string

Ldonovan

I have an old Jennings compound the model number is faded so having a hard time looking it up. I am new to bows and am looking to get into it. I was told that my bow has a string specifically for it. Is that true? Can I get any string for it?? Any info would be great. Thank you very much

Best bet is to measure the strings that are on it and have a new set custom made. you would do this through your local pro shop. New set of Strings could be 150 bucks

The hard part is getting what the right axle to axle specs are and knowing how many twists to put in the strings.

Truth be told, you would be money ahead buying a more current brand that has dealer support. If Jennings bows were a car, it would be like a '74 Chevy sedan. Old but not classic. Lacking many attributes that we take for granted today.

For the same value you could get a Recurve bow with about the same arrow speed. It would be something to shoot...

No need to buy a new bow. Just have your local bow shop restring it for you. As long as it puts the arrow on target consistantly out to your max range you're good to go.

Best bet is to measure the strings that are on it and have a new set custom made. you would do this through your local pro shop. New set of Strings could be 150 bucks

The hard part is getting what the right axle to axle specs are and knowing how many twists to put in the strings.

Truth be told, you would be money ahead buying a more current brand that has dealer support. If Jennings bows were a car, it would be like a '74 Chevy sedan. Old but not classic. Lacking many attributes that we take for granted today.

For the same value you could get a Recurve bow with about the same arrow speed. It would be something to shoot...
Right on thank you very much, I have thought about getting a new bow but the one I want is pricey it’s the new prime 5 black series, I like the look and have seen and heard lots of great reviews about it. I for now though am looking to get a setup I can hunt with until I can get enough flow for the good stuff. I appreciate the advice.

Every bow company has an entry level package. I think all the big 5 (Hoyt, Matthews, Prime, Bowtech, another of your choice) along with a good pro shop can put a package together (sight, rest, release, arrows) that you can upgrade one piece at a time in the future. You can be shooting 6 inch groups at 20 yds by your second dozen shots.

Some good points in this article.

What kind of Jennings? Probably has a Dacron string, its probably still fine if it isn't showing excessive wear. I wouldn't worry about much on it right now as long as everything looks ok.

Edit: If you post a photo we can probably figure out your model or point you in the right direction. My only experience with Jennings is my father's Unistar but I don't remember the bowstring itself being anything proprietary.

Last edited:
And you can get strings for less than $150 and for that price that should include the cables. If your bow is old enough, it might have steel cables.

Post a picture and someone can help. You may also have someone with a string make you a good offer. I had one before I moved but don't have one any longer.

Replacing the string will also take a bow press and some knowledge to do it right (and safe)

I would think long and hard before investing in a string for a bow that age unless it has some sentimental qualities too it.

Last edited:
Right on thank you very much, I have thought about getting a new bow but the one I want is pricey it’s the new prime 5 black series, I like the look and have seen and heard lots of great reviews about it. I for now though am looking to get a setup I can hunt with until I can get enough flow for the good stuff. I appreciate the advice.
I have hunted with a Mathews for years but it wasn’t the right draw length for me I went in to upgrade this year and they only had a few long draw bows in at the time so I tried the bear species Ld and loved it i got the ready to hunt package and was out the door for less than 400 bucks wished I would of done it earlier or diamond makes the sb1 that is a nice ready to hunt bow that are around 300 if you are looking for a bow on a budget to get you started I’d look at these

What kind of Jennings? Probably has a Dacron string, its probably still fine if it isn't showing excessive wear. I wouldn't worry about much on it right now as long as everything looks ok.

Edit: If you post a photo we can probably figure out your model or point you in the right direction. My only experience with Jennings is my father's Unistar but I don't remember the bowstring itself being anything proprietary.
It’s an apex, definitely need new string. I am also looking for mods for it. I took it in today and was told draw length is to long I need to shorten it up.

I have hunted with a Mathews for years but it wasn’t the right draw length for me I went in to upgrade this year and they only had a few long draw bows in at the time so I tried the bear species Ld and loved it i got the ready to hunt package and was out the door for less than 400 bucks wished I would of done it earlier or diamond makes the sb1 that is a nice ready to hunt bow that are around 300 if you are looking for a bow on a budget to get you started I’d look at these
Awesome thanks for the info, I may have to look into that.

Back