Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Bow site for old eyes

NativeIndian

Okay, I can't be the only person who hunts with contacts but due to needing reading glasses, my pins are blurry especially in low light. What do the rest of you use? I am trying to avoid a varifier because if it rains or snows then you have to worry about it getting on the varifier and seeing only a water droplet when you look through it. What does everyone else use for sites? Is the varifier the way to go? I elk and deer hunt with my bow.

Get a verifier and don't worry about it. I have used one for 4-5 years now and think I've only cleaned it 3 times. And, the 3 times were in my cellar, NEVER because of rain or snow. I too thought it would be a concern but it has proven to not be a concern. The times I cleaned it were just for normal dust and because I thought I should....

Had my verifier for 4-5 years also and zero issues with it. Never had to clean any of them. I’m running the housing without the hood and have noticed a glare when shooting in bright sunlight once in a while. Nothing bad, just the only issue I can think of.

If you still don’t like the idea of a verifier, you may want to think about cutting back on number of pins, or go to a single pin like the HHA

I became a much better shooter when I went to a single sliding pin. Though don't forget to move the pin back to your "normal" yardage or you'll surely miss. 🤦‍♂️

I developed this issue a few years ago. I have the HHA single pin with 6' of fiber optic wrapped in teh housing. I went to two bowshops in town and when I told them my problem the one shop didnt really know anything about a verifier and the other shop told me to "dim" my pin. So I took a couple of the wife's hair scrunchies and wrapped them around the housing and it dimmed the pin down. I would still like to get a verifier though because at low light I still get that blurr

I became a much better shooter when I went to a single sliding pin. Though don't forget to move the pin back to your "normal" yardage or you'll surely miss. 🤦‍♂️
Hah! Yeah I hunt whitetails with a single but for elk I like 4 pins. A lot thicker forest than the whitetail hardwoods I hunt. Can't see those elk as soon as I do the wt's.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll roll with a verifier. Have told my bow guy to order me one for my new v3.

IM 58 and went to a spot hog 2 pin sight ( 1 pin with 2 dots )to help with this my 4 pins were just to blurry the single pin with 2 glow dots helped me a lot
since its adjustable I use the top pin almost all the time

EzV. Best a long distances because you're just framing the vitals....you don't have to see the tick marks. Although some like to just "frame" the shots under 30 yards and use the tick marks for those shots beyond 30 yards.

I also have aging eyes. I have a five pin slider, mouth kisser and I tied a small ball of serving on my string that touches the tip of my nose for another reference point. Got the idea from a YouTube video I found when my eyes started to get worse. I’ve had good consistency with that setup so far.

Make sure anything you put on your bow optics wise is legal where you plan to hunt. I don't think verifiers are considered illegal in most states that prohibit magnifying sights, but check out the regs in the state you hunt to make sure.

Make sure anything you put on your bow optics wise is legal where you plan to hunt. I don't think verifiers are considered illegal in most states that prohibit magnifying sights, but check out the regs in the state you hunt to make sure.
Verifiers aren’t legal in Colorado, my eyes wish they were.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back