Bow hunter fatally shot in San Juan National Forest

So there’s a little tiff going on between the hunters and the mountain bikers at the local park and the hunters keep using the dangers of getting shot as a reason to justify bike trail closures during hunting season and it’s driving me crazy 🤦‍♂️

Kind of amazes me we see bowhunters and rifle hunters in the field at the same time.

Betraying my predjudices here, but I'd reckon that if ML hunts were limited to open iron sights and patched round ball (like PA), incidents like this one might be reduced just simply because you need to be closer with a traditional rifle. Just musings. But still surprised that both bow and rifle are in the field together.

Betraying my predjudices here, but I'd reckon that if ML hunts were limited to open iron sights and patched round ball (like PA), incidents like this one might be reduced just simply because you need to be closer with a traditional rifle. Just musings.

In Colorado, no scopes, no sabots, but conicals ok.

So there’s a little tiff going on between the hunters and the mountain bikers at the local park and the hunters keep using the dangers of getting shot as a reason to justify bike trail closures during hunting season and it’s driving me crazy 🤦‍♂️
I would have asked the hunters just how stupid and carless are they? And then told them they are too stupid to own a gun if they would mistake a mountain biker for an elk or deer

Am I missing something? Several comments on here allude to both muzzy hunters shooting or being responsible. But the report has one being charged. How about we get it right?
Because some of us didn't need to read the whole story about who shot who. All that matters is someone was too stupid to own a gun.

I’ve called in hunters before. It’s pretty obvious when the hoochie mama comes from downwind.
I called in a muzzy hunter in ‘18, idiot walked in with his gun pointed right at me while I was cow calling… also didn’t have on a stitch of blaze.

Im also shocked by how oblivious some hunters are esp NR. Had two archers walk across the opposing ridge and sit down in the open, while we were bear hunting last weekend. They were totally sky lined, didn’t notice the deer 80 yards behind them on the ridge, and it took them over an hour to notice us, two dudes in blaze orange 250 yards directly in front of them. SMH 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Saw two hunters with their kids and no blaze orange between them this weekend. Might have blown their orange hat budget on those fancy rifles and suppressors though.

Yep. Anyone can't tell an artificial elk bugle from the real McCoy needs some mentoring ... or hearing aids. Duh!

Saw two hunters with their kids and no blaze orange between them this weekend. Might have blown their orange hat budget on those fancy rifles and suppressors though.
You should have called it in. Might have saved a life ... like maybe yours. A proper example needs to be set for those kids. They're not getting it from their dads so let the game warden do it.

You must be one hell of a caller.
Id like to see a video of that, calling in a person. Anybody can make a hunting video calling in wildlife, it would be the funniest thing ever to call in another hunter and have it recorded. 🤣
That would be as good as Bill Dance bloopers.

I happen to have in my possession just such a video, however hesitant to post here for a couple reasons. He was a nice guy, out of stater, but from a state that has lots of elk. Who knows maybe the first bugle he had heard.

I’ve called in hunters before. It’s pretty obvious when the hoochie mama comes from downwind.

One day I had a guy follow me all over a state section with a hoochie momma. Every time he would get inside 200 I would move off and then bugle again from 1/2 mile away, never did let him see me, kept at it for a couple hours. Saw him at the truck on the way out and asked him how he did and he said he had one talking to him but wouldn’t come in, lol..

I happen to have in my possession just such a video, however hesitant to post here for a couple reasons. He was a nice guy, out of stater, but from a state that has lots of elk. Who knows maybe the first bugle he had heard.

One day I had a guy follow me all over a state section with a hoochie momma. Every time he would get inside 200 I would move off and then bugle again from 1/2 mile away, never did let him see me, kept at it for a couple hours. Saw him at the truck on the way out and asked him how he did and he said he had one talking to him but wouldn’t come in, lol..
Did this in CO several years ago with my sons. Fun game to play when there are no elk in your area.

Kind of amazes me we see bowhunters and rifle hunters in the field at the same time.

Betraying my predjudices here, but I'd reckon that if ML hunts were limited to open iron sights and patched round ball (like PA), incidents like this one might be reduced just simply because you need to be closer with a traditional rifle. Just musings. But still surprised that both bow and rifle are in the field together.
Have hunted that exact area many times back 10/15 years ago and a handful since then; beautiful country, always made a point to get “out of dodge” before muzzy started

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back