Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
It all comes down to your own style and taste preference. Plus just how much you have to spend, of course. Myself, my style would be the Cartwright in Bourbon Calf. I prefer brown colors over black, but have that in reserve in the closet for funerals and such, like our daughter's wedding. :cool: In fact, there are 3 pairs in reserve besides my newer Noconas. Goat, python, lizard, elephant, I've gone through a lot! Buy what looks good to you, that you think will get some more use than just one time.

What you think people who wear cowboy boots look like
View attachment 211171

my reality...
View attachment 211172
Yes indeed! That’s me most days😂😂😂 (the bottom pic). But I live in Texas and that is pretty much normal daily footwear for most men around here. No one calls them “cowboy” boots, they’re just boots. Kind of like a hat, there’s “hats” (straw and felt) and “caps”…pretty good sign you’re dealing with city slickers or yankee/Cali transplants when they refer to “Cowboy Boots” and “Cowboy hats”. You won’t be out of place in “cowboy” boots unless you’re in a real metro-urban setting or have truly ridiculous snakeskin or alligator skin boots.

Square toe or rounded toe, low heel, Lucchese all the way. Will last forever. I have lizard and calfskin that look as good as they ever did. Always regret not getting full quill ostrich though. Another interesting skin, if still available, is elephant. Don't remember the brand (likely Justin) as I sure couldn't afford Lucchese then. Wore them into and out of elk camp, tromped around in shit, wash and polish, good as new.

Buddy from Texas is getting married, uniform is a tux with boots. We got a giftcard from the groom here...

School me up... we can go any style and color... probably the only cowboy boots I'm going to ever own.
Wouldn't stear you wrong.Screenshot_20220205-213315_Chrome.jpg

Here's my $.02

Round vs Square - Round is a little more old school, but still in style. Square has become the craze in the last 15 years. I used to cringe at square toe, now I have three pairs. Just don't get a damn pointed toe. They are old school AND out of style.

Material - All personal preference and how splashy you want to be. I personally have leather, ostrich, and lizard. Leather are every day and the other two are for special occasions. Ostrich is kind of delicate with leather being more durable. Lizard are in-between. I don't have the money for caiman or alligator, but those are pretty durable.

Sole - leather can be slick as snot (you can bust your butt on the wrong surface), not as durable, but can be easily resoled. You can also feel more of what you step on with leather (rocks). They are great for two stepping. Rubber soles last much longer, but don't slide as well for dancing.

Heel - Go with a walking heel (shorter). Riding heels are for...well...riding. Walking heels are much more comfortable.

Fit - look for a little room to slip in the heel (not a ton though), and it should feel like a firm handshake around the front ball area of your foot. ( The widest part.) They will stretch and loosen a little around the ball as you wear them, but if it's painful they won't stretch that much. If it's painful go to a EE width. I currently wear a 13 in running shoe and a 12D in cowboy boots, and I have found they can fit slightly differently from pair to pair even from the same brand. No crazy differences though.

Care - Just like any good boot they can last a long time if you take care of them. I use Bick 4 leather conditioner on all my boots, even my exotics. I used to polish my boots a lot, but now I just use this regularly.

Also, if you wear them a lot invest in a boot jack. Those things are money! Good luck, and let me know if I can help with anything else. I hope you have a great time in Texas.

Edit: If you get your tux/suit tailored make sure the pant length is for boots. Most are tailored too short to wear with boots.

Here's my $.02

Round vs Square - Round is a little more old school, but still in style. Square has become the craze in the last 15 years. I used to cringe at square toe, now I have three pairs. Just don't get a damn pointed toe. They are old school AND out of style.

Material - All personal preference and how splashy you want to be. I personally have leather, ostrich, and lizard. Leather are every day and the other two are for special occasions. Ostrich is kind of delicate with leather being more durable. Lizard are in-between. I don't have the money for caiman or alligator, but those are pretty durable.

Sole - leather can be slick as snot (you can bust your butt on the wrong surface), not as durable, but can be easily resoled. You can also feel more of what you step on with leather (rocks). They are great for two stepping. Rubber soles last much longer, but don't slide as well for dancing.

Heel - Go with a walking heel (shorter). Riding heels are for...well...riding. Walking heels are much more comfortable.

Fit - look for a little room to slip in the heel (not a ton though), and it should feel like a firm handshake around the front ball area of your foot. ( The widest part.) They will stretch and loosen a little around the ball as you wear them, but if it's painful they won't stretch that much. If it's painful go to a EE width. I currently wear a 13 in running shoe and a 12D in cowboy boots, and I have found they can fit slightly differently from pair to pair even from the same brand. No crazy differences though.

Care - Just like any good boot they can last a long time if you take care of them. I use Bick 4 leather conditioner on all my boots, even my exotics. I used to polish my boots a lot, but now I just use this regularly.

Also, if you wear them a lot invest in a boot jack. Those things are money! Good luck, and let me know if I can help with anything else. I hope you have a great time in Texas.

Edit: If you get your tux/suit tailored make sure the pant length is for boots. Most are tailored too short to wear with boots.
Sounds like solid advice from someone who's been there, done that.

Wish I had occasion to or lived where I thought I could still wear cowboy boots, would stop in the Tecovas store when I'm in Austin for work next month

Had a pair (Justin's? ) back when I lived in Louisiana and learned to Texas two-step a bit...leather soles no doubt are the requirement for dancing.

Seems like you might be in a tough spot @wllm1313 bc the boots you need for a wedding might not be the same ones you'd want for everyday wear...first world problems I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back