Boots for September Hunt

Check out goHunt shop, has a lot of info on boots, measurements, and fit. You can also see reviews from others. I went with these boots for my earlier hunts or hunts in warmer climates and they fit great.
Beat me to it. Salewa Alp trainer is good if you don’t want as stiff boot. I have the Alp and will use it up until late October. Solid boot and only took 2 miles to break in. I have wider feet and the Alp seemed to accommodate a wide toe box best. No slipping either with the heel lock which is important to me because I get blisters easily. Pair it with a darn tough sock and you’re in some serious business. Only complaint I have is that the shoe laces seem too thin and come untied easily. That’s obviously an easy fix.

Beat me to it. Salewa Alp trainer is good if you don’t want as stiff boot. I have the Alp and will use it up until late October. Solid boot and only took 2 miles to break in. I have wider feet and the Alp seemed to accommodate a wide toe box best. No slipping either with the heel lock which is important to me because I get blisters easily. Pair it with a darn tough sock and you’re in some serious business. Only complaint I have is that the shoe laces seem too thin and come untied easily. That’s obviously an easy fix.
I like this boot. Have you had a chance to test out the water proofness?

I like this boot. Have you had a chance to test out the water proofness?
Yeah it does really well for what it is. Obviously, a gaiter paired with it is always a good idea. But if you have to plow through a small stream or creek you should make it out ok. Snow, however, might not work so well.

The Quest used to be a good boot. Recent offerings, not so much. I won't buy another pair. Have Lowa Caminos now. Want a pair of Kenetrek Corrie 3.2's next. I am wearing these daily, so they see a ton of use. mtmuley
I’d love to get your thoughts on the Corrie 3.2s if you ever get them. I have a pair of Lowa Caminos that just don’t fit my feet well and have not held up, but I know a lot of people love them.

Point isn’t that Merrells are great boots, point is that all feet are different and get what works for you, not what a bunch of guys on a forum think is “good” or “bad.”

The best advice you got was to go to REI or Sportsman’s and try on a bunch. Don’t worry about what color they are or their name is. Get something that fits YOUR foot well.

Lastly, do it now. It’s almost freaking September.

my thoughts exactly on boots - and time of year

what is interesting to me is how so many of the boots mentioned in this thread (and others on the subject) only come in one width - standard I guess you'd call it

don't work for my feet (and many others I assume)

so as @shannerdrake stated, what is "best" for one set of folks, won't work for others - each person has unique feet and you just have to find what works for you

for me, it's Miendls - but I have boats connecting me to the ground

Last edited:
my thoughts exactly on boots - and time of year

what is interesting to me is how so many of the boots mentioned in this thread (and others on the subject) only come in one width - standard I guess you'd call it

don't work for my feet (and many others I assume)

so as @shannerdrake stated, what is "best" for one set of folks, won't work for others - each person has unique feet and you just have to find what works for you

for me, it's Miendls - but I have boats connecting me to the ground
I feel you - 14EEE for me. Pretty much rules out any of the European brands. I tried a pair of 14 Hanwaags once and literally couldn’t straighten my toes in them.

I feel you - 14EEE for me. Pretty much rules out any of the European brands. I tried a pair of 14 Hanwaags once and literally couldn’t straighten my toes in them.
I really don’t understand to European sizing thing , so hardly ever buy
clothing or footwear, even when I lived in Europe I had to order stuff from the USA.

I’d love to get your thoughts on the Corrie 3.2s if you ever get them. I have a pair of Lowa Caminos that just don’t fit my feet well and have not held up, but I know a lot of people love them.
I had ordered the Kenetreks but sent them back thinking they were too stiff for a work boot. I wish I would have kept them. The Caminos fit ok but the rand is separating in one spot and they are only 5 months old. mtmuley

Yep, the conundrum of fitting boots. I’m a C width with a high arch, and a narrow heel. Rules out any US brand. European made only for me.

I had ordered the Kenetreks but sent them back thinking they were too stiff for a work boot. I wish I would have kept them. The Caminos fit ok but the rand is separating in one spot and they are only 5 months old. mtmuley
Interesting! The rand peeled off my Caminos like a banana peel. Happened the first time before I even got them broken in. Didn’t have time to do the warranty thing because I was leaving for a hunt so I took it to a local repair shop and had it glued back.

On that same hunt both rands came lose and one of the quick lace grommets broke. The waterproofing also completely failed. All within the first 75 miles on the boots.

Had the rand get ripped on my Caminos and I sent them in for resoling this year after 3 years of use, everyday. New soles,rands and reconditioned leather.
The boots have never leaked. The rands cut from lava rock. The Caminos are my everyday wear boot now. Very comfortable.
I have heard the rands can peel if you use the wrong boot treatment...lowa and nikwax only.
The rands are about half the thickness of my Tibets.

It’s not popular on this forum, but I do well with Merrells. I have some foot issues including one foot half a size bigger than another and severely flat feet. I have tree trunks for ankles so I’ve found that I don’t need or like tall boots and do well with softer versus stiffer boots.

The Merrells keep me more comfortable which keeps me on the mountain and I don’t get blisters. I’ve packed out 5 elk and dozen deer in Merrells.

Point isn’t that Merrells are great boots, point is that all feet are different and get what works for you, not what a bunch of guys on a forum think is “good” or “bad.”

The best advice you got was to go to REI or Sportsman’s and try on a bunch. Don’t worry about what color they are or their name is. Get something that fits YOUR foot well.

Lastly, do it now. It’s almost freaking September.
Thank you. My hunt is September 2023 so I’m early. Lol. Here in Michigan I don’t need the same type of boots. I can wear some good sox and walk into the woods a mile or so in my Rockys or Mucks and sit in my stand or ground blind all day for deer.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back