Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Boots for September Hunt

I’d recommend the crispi summits but they are out of the required price range. I fell in love with mine as soon as I put mine on. I could wear mine 365 days a year!

Boots are very subjective. Just like tires for your pickup. What fits me vs what fits you might not be close to the same. We all walk and hike a bit different. As mentioned, try them all on. Dont even look at the price. Go to a legit place and ask the questions needed. Double stitching will hold up more than single. Full sole shank will be more sturdy. Taller will be more stable. Weight is a factor aswell. Elk hunting is alot of miles, you will be on your feet alot. Do not forget tthe socks and bring extra. September weather can be a factor, coild be 95 degrees or it could be blowing snow at higher elevations. In the end do not be afraid to buy/spend more than anticipated budget. A good pair of boots should easily last you 5 or more seasons.

In my view, the important variables (in order) are:
  1. Fit - GO TRY THEM ON. And please keep in mind that comfort walking around a store is only partially related to the boot's ability to not make burger out of your feet walking downhill with 90+lbs on your back.
  2. Support - your arches and ankles are magical machines that are finely-tuned to the things you do on a daily basis. I'm sure that's not sitting on your butt, but it's probably not carrying 100lbs on your back. Your feet will need some help when it's time for a packout.
  3. Protection - walking over rough, rocky terrain with meat on your back is hell for your feet. I prefer a boot with lots of protection from rocks that try to stab the side of my feet.
  4. Waterproofness - keep in mind that you may be better off with a non-waterproof boot. If your hunt is mostly dry with, say, a few creek crossings, being able to walk through water and have breathable boots to pump all that moisture away from your feet is pretty magical. If you'll be in mostly wet environments, then a waterproof boot is a must.
  5. Durability - this is more of a cost over time issue than anything else, but you'll at least need boots that will last longer than your hunt. At the $200 price point, you shouldn't have any concerns there.
Also, make sure you have at least two pairs of good socks (Darn Tough, Smartwool, etc etc).

Also also, GO TRY THEM ON ;).

One final thought: the boot needs of western mountain hunters (who don't get much attention from major brands) are highly correlated to the needs of climbers and mountaineers (the cool kids of the outdoor footwear industry). That's why you see the high-end Italian brands like Scarpa, Mammut, etc on the GoHunt store.

That's to say: if you have an REI or similar mom-n-pop outdoors store near you, it's worth trying on shoes there.

It's not worth much to you, but I'm currently wearing the Scrapa Zodiac Plus boots for warmer-and-drier hunts and the Scarpa Ribelle HD's for colder-and-wetter hunts. The Zodiac Plus boots are the minimum stiffness and support I'd recommend for elk hunting.

It sounds like I need to up my budget on boots. Those are Hoffman’s it looks like. I’ll check them out.
Yes, they are Hoffmans. I have another pair of the all leather explorers. Ive worn a lot of different brands of boots, and I would put these at the top of the list in terms of quality against anything I’ve worn thus far.

Are those the 6 inch explorers? Did you buy them a 1/2 size up? I’d have to mail order then and try them on.
I’ve had these for a year and a a half. Wearing very well.

These are what I just bought.

I found them to be pretty true to size. Same as what I wear in Salomon’s.

Merrel +/- $140 and last awhile
and don’t judge but I know a ton of guys that hunt in thoughgood lace up View attachment 234834
View attachment 234830
It’s not popular on this forum, but I do well with Merrells. I have some foot issues including one foot half a size bigger than another and severely flat feet. I have tree trunks for ankles so I’ve found that I don’t need or like tall boots and do well with softer versus stiffer boots.

The Merrells keep me more comfortable which keeps me on the mountain and I don’t get blisters. I’ve packed out 5 elk and dozen deer in Merrells.

Point isn’t that Merrells are great boots, point is that all feet are different and get what works for you, not what a bunch of guys on a forum think is “good” or “bad.”

The best advice you got was to go to REI or Sportsman’s and try on a bunch. Don’t worry about what color they are or their name is. Get something that fits YOUR foot well.

Lastly, do it now. It’s almost freaking September.

You can find White’s Boots on Camofire for good prices (on sale they come in under your $200 mark). There are some on there today.

My dad has an insulated pair of Lochsas that he likes. Build quality seems on par with the other popular European / Italian brands.

I called two of my buddies and they both said Salomon Quest 4D GTX , next they buy are merrel

The Quest used to be a good boot. Recent offerings, not so much. I won't buy another pair. Have Lowa Caminos now. Want a pair of Kenetrek Corrie 3.2's next. I am wearing these daily, so they see a ton of use. mtmuley

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brady1988
Back