boots for hunting

1whohunts

So being new to hunting in Montana I recently bought some Danner Pronghorn Classics for bear and early elk season. therefore they are not insulated. My question is this... I bought a size 9 but an 8.5 fit my foot also, however it was a little tighter on my foot. With the size 9 I have a little bit of wiggle room...meaing less than 1/2 in front my heel to the heel of the boot if I slide my foot all the way forward. If I wear a thin sock to wick away moisture and then my underarmour cold gear sock, i dont move as much. Do I go take the 9 back and get the 8.5 or keep the 9? The 8.5 fit with the same socks on, it just seemed tighter all the way around my foot, which seemed uncomfortable to a point? Guidance is needed for my unexperienced self, I have never needed boots like this before.:D

From the sounds of it, I would go after a 8.75.

Truthfully, I would go with the larger size, but everyone has different feet.

Early season elk hunts you won't need much warmth. However, I do like wear a thick sock to help cushion my feet. It's all your personal preference, but I'd probably recommend the larger size as well. Just as long as your foot doesn't slop around when you are going up or down hills. That's a sure recipe for blisters.

If your toes hit the front of the boot in the 8.5, then you want the 9. If your heels slop around in the 9, then you want to find different boots. Blisters suck, and so do black toenails.

I've seriously thought about these, at least packing some for stalking the last hundred yards. Anyone try them?

The only downside that I can see is, a few guys in the office I used to work at had these and after a few months they said the foot sweat made them stink pretty bad. They need to make some merino toe socks and I think they may work pretty dang good.

If your toes hit the front of the boot in the 8.5, then you want the 9. If your heels slop around in the 9, then you want to find different boots. Blisters suck, and so do black toenails.

This^^ If you go with a boot too short in length, you'll know after you turn downhill from your first hike.

There is nothing wrong with Danners for what they are, but for mountain terrain European made boots are far superior. Kenetrek, Lowa, Zamberlain...etc. Just an FYI for the next time you shop.

I've seriously thought about these, at least packing some for stalking the last hundred yards. Anyone try them?

The only downside that I can see is, a few guys in the office I used to work at had these and after a few months they said the foot sweat made them stink pretty bad. They need to make some merino toe socks and I think they may work pretty dang good.

Not actually. I have also thought about it though. I ended up with a pair of cross trainers and liked them.

This^^ If you go with a boot too short in length, you'll know after you turn downhill from your first hike.

There is nothing wrong with Danners for what they are, but for mountain terrain European made boots are far superior. Kenetrek, Lowa, Zamberlain...etc. Just an FYI for the next time you shop.

If you're going to use high dollar European boot technology you might as well get a new high powered crossbow and shoot your animal at 1000yards using your 4 wheeler as a rest..

... How many clicks for 1000yd?:D

Back