Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Boot Waterproof Products

prhunter

What is your favorite boot waterproofing product? Kenetrek wax, Obenauf's leather preservative, Sno-seal, etc...?

I clean leather with saddle soap, then protect with neatsfoot oil. It seems to last longer than other products, and not wear off since it penetrates the leather.

Have used sno-seal in the past, but it's a pain because you have to reapply so often, and the wax coats the material and does not penetrate it, so the leather tends to wear out quicker.

I use Silicone Water-guard spray (Walmart) on waterproofing for synthetic materials such as raincoat, tent, nylon pack, etc., but do not use on leather as haven't had the best of luck on that material

Sno-Seal hit with a blow dryer to get the leather to absorb it. Works great and good for several weeks of hard constant use.

Obenaufs & Montana Pitch Blend. They both work very well and last longer than any other type of leather treatment I have tried. I put a couple coats on and then put the boots on the Peet Boot Dryer overnight and then do a couple more coats. The real mild heat opens up the pours in the leather and lets it penetrate a lot better.

I use the crispi stuff. I don’t use obenaufs anymore due to it making the rubber rand separate from the leather.

I've used Kenetrek, Obenauf's, and Sno-Seal. Sno-Seal is the best I've used by a long shot.

What is this +4 for Sno-seal ? I actually had my dad send me a couple of cans when I was stationed at MCAS K-Bay during the monsoon season. Sloshing in ankle deep water, everywhere, for a couple of months was no fun. I had to switch out of my then standard jungle boots and back to my 'Nam Black Cadillac's....

I use the crispi stuff. I don’t use obenaufs anymore due to it making the rubber rand separate from the leather.

I have read that this is a problem with some of the treatments. That is one reason that I like the Kenetrek. It is formulated, so that it does not hurt stitching, rubber etc. over a period of time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back