boot size...what to look for

Buckmania

so, I ordered a pair of Irish Setter hiking boots through Cabela's....I got them and they seem to be a bit big but am not sure....how do you know when a boot is too big? Probably a dumb question but I don't want to send them back and get a 1/2 size smaller only to figure they are too small.

When I lace them up I have a good thumbs width between the toes and boot. These are for my summer hikers so I like to get by if at all possible with one pair of socks. The heel is what I am worried about, it doesn't seem like it is that snug, especially since I have narrow feet. However, I'm afraid if I get a half size smaller my toes will be too close to the end of the boot....oh the problems with mail order boots!

Whats your take on this?

Thanks for the help!

Supposedly, an increase in 1/2 size equals about 2/8" to 3/16" increase in length. So my guess is that you can easily go down 1/2 size and be ok.

If you order from Shoebuy.com shipping is free, both for orders and returns. I've ordered two pairs before and just kept the better fitting pair.

That IS the problem with mail order boots. Everybody’s feet are shaped differently. Even if the length and width fit, some boots just won’t fit right. You should probably spend some time at different shoe stores and outdoor stores trying on lots of different boots to determine exactly what brand and what size in that brand fit you best. I have really wide feet and spent years going crazy trying to find hiking boots that really fit. I can tell you this, when you find a pair that really fit good buy them, no matter what they cost .

I have a really wide foot, too. I finally found out that Rocky boots fit me perfectly and have bought several pairs over the last 5 years. I'll probably never buy anything else.

My Danner Pronghorns are perfect for me. I have somewhat wide feet, and love the support, and don't slide when I am not wearing huge wool socks, but can still fit them and be comfortable. Never have gotten blisters with them either.

Don't forget to allow for foot swellage. Depending on the type of hunting done, feet will swell some.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back