Boot insulation

Alabama

How many grams of thinsulate insulation do you use for late season hunts with snow on the ground (lows from 0-20 degrees)

I did a hunt a few years ago with 400 grams of insulation and my feet were almost numb after glassing for a few hours, but my feet were fine when hiking.

Is 800 overkill and will it make my feet sweat when hiking? Thoughts on 600 vs 800 grams?

I wear Schnee pac boots when it’s cold with snow. They are -20 boots. I don’t know the grams of insulation.

When it’s really cold, like I’ve fishing cold, I wear a pair of Baffin which are something stupid like -150. I’ve never been cold in them.

Any specific brand of boot covers you recommend?
I’ve had good luck with the arctic shield ones.

Drop a hand warmer in them when you start your hike in and the blankets will be warm by the time you need them. Also, if your feet sweat, changing socks when you get where you’re going helps.

Any specific brand of boot covers you recommend?
I also use the artic shield ones and have a couple pairs so i never forget them. I like mentioned drop a handwarm in them if my toes get cold. I never change socks, i do pull off my boots if even for 5 minutes if i get chance to air our boots and socks (makes huge difference) your boots will hold moisture way longer than your good WOOL socks, i do sometimes wear a liner sock of temps are going to single digits or lower for entire day. Make sure you try to dry boots completely overnight!

Its very unlikely I will ever buy a pair of hunting boots again with more than 400 thinsulate. I used to buy up to a 1000. Then I went with less insulation in my boot in my boot and a better sock system. I have found this to work in a lot of weather and activity situations. There are so many different situations.

I found the heavier sock system better for keeping feet warm than overdoing the boot insulation. I use the Kenetrek liner sock and the Kenetrek Alaska wool sock. I also use Superfeet Grey insoles. They have a thin layer of wool on top of them which adds one level of insulation, bringing my Crispi Wild Rock from 400 g to 500 g insulation without adding any extra weight. They aren't easy to find, but I bought several pair from Blackovis last year.

Last edited:
I have been using Lowa Tibet superwarms, 400 insl., during the winter.
I have Kenetrek Pacs with 400 liners and got Itasca 1000 muck boots last year.

The muckboots get real warm working.

I wear quality merino socks year round.

My discovery on cold feet was all about keeping my core and head/neck warm.

The body starts to shut down the extremities first to protect the core - specifically the feet…then the hands. Sitting around doing very little (glassing for instance) just doesn’t get the blood circulating and therefore doesn’t do much to keep the feet warm.

I wear an electric battery operated vest on cooler days when I know I won’t be moving much. Press a button and I get about 2-3 hours of nice warm heat that also heats up my jacket and neck. In turn, the body works to cool down a bit by forcing blood down to the feet and hands.

Voila - I’m nice wand warm without being sweaty. This works for me down to the upper teens with non-insulated boots.

In addition to core, I find that wearing long underwear can make a difference. When you let your legs get cold you are delivering cold blood to your feet.

I also have come to believe boot makers do not use a different size strategy when insulation is included in the boot. Meaning you end up with a tighter fit in the same sized boot, add a heavier sock and now they are tighter yet. A tight fit is a recipe for cold feet.

My warmest hunting boots are Kennetrek 400g, my feet sweat in them while hiking at any temp over 20* or so but they'll get cold if I sit for more than a couple hours in those temps. There is always a tradeoff.

Uninsulated boots a size bigger than normal and a variety of good wool socks let me regulate my feet temps according to weather. I can keep my feet pretty comfortable and happy from 70° down to 0°.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madicks2
Back