Boot Break-In

greatwhitebuffalo

So, how do you guys break-in boots? I believe that doing this well can pay off for years into the future. For me, maybe about 15 miles over flat to moderate terrain, with medium socks and laced as tight as I can reasonably take it. Accounts for some of the questions when trying on brand new boots. I started to consider this more once I began to hear about the frequency of new boot returns.

All three pairs of my Kenitrex boot ( uninsulated, 400 gr. and whatever the higher isolated ones are ) needed no brake in at all.
When I put them on they were like old friends

I've worn tons of different boots over the years and my Lowas have been by far my favourites. No break-in required, wear them straight out of the box on a 5k ruck march with no issues.

I find that all my boots that required "breaking in" were inadequate for long distance rucking.

All the boots I have broken in were by wearing them doing work around the house for several weeks. It never seemed like a good idea to go on a miles long hike to break them in and hope the boot feels good.

I wear them around the house for a couple days to see how I like them. If I don't like them around the house, I probably won't like them in tougher terrain. After I decide if I like them or not, I'll take them on a hike around the farm (generally 2 miles) and see how/if my opinion changes. After that, I'm pretty set on them and will take them on longer trips.

Got a new pair of Schnees Beartooth this spring. Took them out to Glacier to break in while sightseeing. Need almost no break-in but they also fit me well out of the box.

Consider what terrain your hunting and how much weight you're going to be carrying. Feet/boots will act differently under heavyweight and uneven terrain.

I carry moleskin or duck tape even if my boots are broken in - saved my hunt last yr.

I have found that a quality pair of boots that fit correctly don't really need a break-in period. I wear them around the house to make sure they fit, then basically hunt with them right out of the box.

Last edited:
I break in boots by wearing them. Some go smooth, some can rub when new. Rub spots I'll buffer until they break in, they always do. Sometimes it takes a bit for a boot and a foot to find love.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back