Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Book recommendations

Flyfish4ever

First hunt this year and seeing that the going price for the wildlife management institute’s book which is now out of print is about $500 I am looking for recommendations on books about elk.

thanks, matt

I am heading on my first elk hunt this year as well, and found two books to read while out here on deployment. The first was Bowhunting Modern Elk by Patrick Meitin. It was a good read and there was some valuable information to take away. The second book was The Practical Guide to Elk Hunting by John Cleveland. Honestly, I could have done without the second book. It was okay at best for me. I just ordered Elk Hunting the West Re-visited, so hopefully it will be here in the next month. It takes about a month for mail to get to us at sea. Hope these recommendations help.

What part of Alabama are you in? I grew in Tuscaloosa and left for the Navy at 18. I still hunt in Pickens, Perry, and Tuscaloosa counties every year.

I am heading on my first elk hunt this year as well, and found two books to read while out here on deployment. The first was Bowhunting Modern Elk by Patrick Meitin. It was a good read and there was some valuable information to take away. The second book was The Practical Guide to Elk Hunting by John Cleveland. Honestly, I could have done without the second book. It was okay at best for me. I just ordered Elk Hunting the West Re-visited, so hopefully it will be here in the next month. It takes about a month for mail to get to us at sea. Hope these recommendations help.

What part of Alabama are you in? I grew in Tuscaloosa and left for the Navy at 18. I still hunt in Pickens, Perry, and Tuscaloosa counties every year.
I just finished my masters at UA. I’m in Tuscaloosa until the end of July, then I am heading to MT until the end of September, then I start work in Tennessee
Thank you for your service!

I might point you in a different direction and check out the podcasts you can find on elk hunting. HT and Elktalk are big ones, and if you search "elk hunting" you'll find plenty.

I might point you in a different direction and check out the podcasts you can find on elk hunting. HT and Elktalk are big ones, and if you search "elk hunting" you'll find plenty.
I’ve been listening to podcasts but maybe from cpa studying, I find I best absorb information if I can tangibly highlight, underline, etc the text and find the gaps of my knowledge that way.

Stay in mt

This. Goodness this. I graduated from Auburn in 2011, lived in AL/GA most of my life. So of course got job and family started here. If I had ever even been out west before I graduated college there is 0 doubt in my mind I'd live in CO/ID/MT/WY/UT somewhere. Make it happen now, the chances of it happening later get drastically lower later in life.

The Elknut's Playbook has helped me immensely. Mostly for bowhunters. Apparently the elk have read it too, because they have followed the script perfectly. Not a long read, but certainly packed with valuable information that will help you kill an elk.

Ditto on the Don Laubach and Mark Henckel book(s) above; I go through them every year. I also really like Mike Eastman's Elk Hunting the West Revisited.

I found the wildlife management institute book for $80 on amazon used. I also ordered elk tactics.

Damn,,, and here I thought there was a $500 book in the book case, guess not. I'd let mine go for $500 but at $80,, it will sit in the case.

You need classroom time for studying elk. Your grade is based on attendance. You can read all you want, the tests are based on the lecture and labs. Class is held year 'round in the 11 western states.

The Eastman book on Elk and Elk hunting gives a pretty simple overview of elk hunting from a practical standpoint. While folks with that name would like you to believe they invented Hunting in the west, They do a pretty good job of presenting "How it is Done".

You need classroom time for studying elk. Your grade is based on attendance. You can read all you want, the tests are based on the lecture and labs. Class is held year 'round in the 11 western states.

The Eastman book on Elk and Elk hunting gives a pretty simple overview of elk hunting from a practical standpoint. While folks with that name would like you to believe they invented Hunting in the west, They do a pretty good job of presenting "How it is Done".

I totally agree. unfortunately for someone who lives ~2500 miles away that is tough, however, i will be working for the summer until the hunt in the unit ill be hunting and will be able to spend about 2 days per week plus weekends scouting. I have the money invested in the hunt, now, I need to invest the time.

I totally agree. unfortunately for someone who lives ~2500 miles away that is tough, however, i will be working for the summer until the hunt in the unit ill be hunting and will be able to spend about 2 days per week plus weekends scouting. I have the money invested in the hunt, now, I need to invest the time.

I hear that. While I'm not as far from them It wasn't until I saw a live elk that I realized how different it was from hunting deer.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back