Book recommendations?

geetar

I’m looking for any book recommendations y’all might have to read over the upcoming fall and winter. Outdoor related books that is. I love reading stuff like Duncan Gilchrist, Dwight Schuh, and am wanting to get some Jack OConnor books as well. I love anything related to backcountry hunting and fishing or gun books as well. Thanks in advance.

Ill bet I’ve read “one mans wilderness” the collection of dick proenneke’s journals/story of his living in Alaska, 8-10 times. I enjoy it every time. I don’t know if you have kids or not, but my daughters age 9 and 6 love watching the movie that goes with it. Alone in the wilderness, is the name of the movie, they used to play it on PBS, on Christmas I think

Ill bet I’ve read “one mans wilderness” the collection of dick proenneke’s journals/story of his living in Alaska, 8-10 times. I enjoy it every time. I don’t know if you have kids or not, but my daughters age 9 and 6 love watching the movie that goes with it. Alone in the wilderness, is the name of the movie, they used to play it on PBS, on Christmas I think
Thanks man sounds good. I have a 19 month old daughter. She’s young but she loves the outdoors and prefers them over being inside. That makes me a proud dad.

Reactions: ZBB
Old man and the boy by robert ruark
The old man’s boy grows older.
Anything by Aldo Leupold
Anything by John Muir
Steve Rinella books are good.

I just finished Last Stand: George Bird Grennel, the Battle to Save the Buffalo and the Birth of the New West.

Very good if you enjoy historical stuff. Great story about both Grennel, buffalo, and Yellowstone.

CJ Box has a series of fictional books about a Wyoming game warden named Joe Pickett. I have been reading the series for years now. Also, every western hunter in my opinion should read Carry The Wind by Terry C. Johnson, about a young man from St. Louis coming out west on his own hook to become a mountain man. There is a whole series following that book as well.

CJ Box has a series of fictional books about a Wyoming game warden named Joe Pickett. I have been reading the series for years now. Also, every western hunter in my opinion should read Carry The Wind by Terry C. Johnson, about a young man from St. Louis coming out west on his own hook to become a mountain man. There is a whole series following that book as well.
I’ve really enjoyed the Pickett series; I’ve got 3 books left to read.

A Quiet Place of Violence: Hunting and Ethics in the Missouri River Breaks

A Sand County Almanac

Death in the Long Grass

American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon

The Art of Racing in the Rain

Another great read - The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz

Most respected modern explorer- Ed Stafford, read “Walking the Amazon” - the guy has a pair, made of titanium.

I really enjoyed American Buffalo. Currently reading Undaunted Courage: Merriweather Lewis Thomas Jefferson and the opening of the American west. A lot of history with a ton of excerpts of letters and journal entries spelling errors and all. That's been a hard one to put down.

On the fiction side the Joe Picket series by C.J. Box are super fun and easy reads. The series is about a game warden in Wyoming fighting the good fight. My dad and I have competitions to see who can read the newest book the fastest when he puts out a new addition to the series.

geetar

drop down a few topics in the fireside section. Jack O'Conner thread will give you some more ideas and not just Jack O'Conner

as I mentioned in that thread I had the opportunity to read a lot because of what we did for a living --long plane rides and many of them. After retirement I took up sailing and that also provided time to read.

I read a variety but off the top of my head, you could read a long time if you just read all of Capstick's books and they are all good. Death in the Long Grass might be my favorite by that author. JY Jones --one man, one rifle, one land and also his Another rifle, Another land. The old man and a boy and the old mans boy grows older by Ruark are good reads. I would sometimes read things like Londons, Call of the Wild. Hemingway wrote some good books. I even reread the Iliad and Odyssey when my son was in college and was writing a paper. I try to read the Bible each day.

check out the list of authors I and others recommended in the Jack O conner thread.

I almost forgot. Each of my children and grandchildren have read The Wahoo Bobcat. I bought that book way back in I think the 50's and we still have it.

On the fiction side the Joe Picket series by C.J. Box are super fun and easy reads. The series is about a game warden in Wyoming fighting the good fight. My dad and I have competitions to see who can read the newest book the fastest when he puts out a new addition to the series.

Listened to Wolf Pack last weekend.

Ranch life and the hunting trail-Theodore Roosevelt
Game in the desert- Jack O’conner
Meateater-Steven Rinella
The scavenger’s guide to haute cuisine-Rinella

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back