Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bone saw for Elk

sprig86

I am looking for suggestions on packable bone saws for elk legs and for cutting the skull cap off? Any recommendations?

Packable.....................Yep I'm that bad ass that i pack a 24volt sawzall all the time ! LOL. I should have been more clear. I pack skulls out and cut either back at camp or at home.

I like to euro elk so I dont carry a saw. But I have used the kershaw exchange blade type saw on hunts in really deep and it was ok.

I just use a folding pruning saw that can be purchased at any hardware store. Lightweight and they do the job.

I've used a bunch, don't care for Wyoming saws, and I've worn out a few blades in them. They are heavy, if you are on a backpack trip. They S-U-C-K for cutting out elk/moose antlers.

I pack a small 15" carpenters handsaw on most occasions, it slips between the frame and bag on my pack. Works slicker than snot on moose, elk, sheep skuls, firewood, etc. No knuckle crunching like with a WY saw, doesn't fall appart in the dark, etc. All for about $20.

Last edited:
I have never had to use a saw for the legs or brisket or pelvis because if you know where the joints are a saw in most cases is not needed. Unless your not leaving a lot of neck you can cut the head off at the last join with a knife.
If I needed the use of a saw in the back country I would use what Muleguy uses for cutting the skull.

+1 on the Wyo saw. I carry an extra bone blade in the sheath. It has worked well for 15 years. Lawnboy and Bambistew would be good authorities on this subject for certain.

Last edited:
If I ever pack a saw I do the same as Lawnboy. We use something like this but in a fold up version, not retractable version.
gerber-46048-sportsmanwoodsaw-mainbackground-lg.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back