Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bolt Face Etching

CPAjeff

Quick question for you gun nuts, from a functionality standpoint, should one be concerned about the etching on this bolt face?

1.png

The backstory - a neighbor of mine, who is new to hunting, brought over his new rifle to show me. The rifle was purchased off of gunbroker.com and the condition was "new, old stock." Yes, it's a 6.5 Creedmoor . . . enter all the 6.5 manbun jokes here . . . Anyway, he and I went through the process of cleaning the new gun and removing all the factory grease/particles. I was wiping off the bolt and found etching on the bolt face. Obviously this gun has been fired, but hoping the etching is pure cosmetic (I'm a bit concerned that the rifle may have more problems stemming from the etching - either some extremely hot rounds went down the tube, or some bad primers were the culprit).

If it has been fired [other than proof testing] it's not a new gun. IMO it looks like someone at the factory failed to polish it. Polishing it might create an excessive headspace problem. Shoot it and see, but let the seller know about the issue before you do.

I see another potential issue. At 10 o'clock the blueing is worn off, probably from the bolt coming in contact with the breech. Color the bare steel with a black sharpie marker and cycle the bolt several times. If the marker is gone your buddy has issues. I've seen a bunch of rifles over the years with accuracy complaints, and bolt contact with the barrel is at or near the top of the list. It's a major cause of those pesky flyers.

I see another potential issue. At 10 o'clock the blueing is worn off, probably from the bolt coming in contact with the breech. Color the bare steel with a black sharpie marker and cycle the bolt several times. If the marker is gone your buddy has issues. I've seen a bunch of rifles over the years with accuracy complaints, and bolt contact with the barrel is at or near the top of the list. It's a major cause of those pesky flyers.
Would a proper replacement bolt fix the issue or is there more to it than just the bolt?

If the bolt is indeed touching then you have two options....
1. Send the rifle back to the manufacturer and have them deal with it.
or....
2. Get it to a gunsmith. The correct way of resolving the problem is to pull the barrel and increase the depth of the counterbore to the proper clearance. $$$

That's just brass transfer from pushing the cartridges from the magazine.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back