Boise Chukar

Is there certain altitude ranges I should be looking at sorry just I’m on foot no dog so the more I can narrow the territory the better did jump some Huns yesterday and got one. But I feel like that tells me I’m in the wrong spot for chukar

Is there certain altitude ranges I should be looking at sorry just I’m on foot no dog so the more I can narrow the territory the better did jump some Huns yesterday and got one. But I feel like that tells me I’m in the wrong spot for chukar
Did you fall down at all? If not then it wasn't steep enough.

I have shot huns and chukar in the same spot several times, but it's still pretty rare

In the areas I hunt, elevation is in no way related to which species you find. Topography is much more relevant. I usually find Huns in flatter (this is relative) and grassier areas with benches. That said, I've shot the two within 100 yards of each other on many occasions, and I've killed Huns on slopes as steep as any I've ever killed chukars on.

I'm an avid chukar hunter and Treasure Valley native. I've hunt upland around here for the last 35 years. You could basically draw a 25-50 mile circle around Boise and I've killed chukar in all directions. Emmett, Bogus Basin, SF Boise, King Hill, Grand View, Murphy, Marsing, Homedale, Cambridge, and Weiser. They are in all directions. You just have to get out and look. Some areas do hold more birds than others. We usually average 3-9 miles of hiking. The dogs are anywhere from 50-70 miles. This was a hunt from last Saturday. We walked 7.2 miles. We shot all 3 species within a 100 yard area. Good luck out there!

Attachments

• IMG_8267.jpg
    IMG_8267.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 40
South face ,look for cheat grass. Follow the snow line . No dog ,hunt the rims right at snow line south face.

I'm an avid chukar hunter and Treasure Valley native. I've hunt upland around here for the last 35 years. You could basically draw a 25-50 mile circle around Boise and I've killed chukar in all directions. Emmett, Bogus Basin, SF Boise, King Hill, Grand View, Murphy, Marsing, Homedale, Cambridge, and Weiser. They are in all directions. You just have to get out and look. Some areas do hold more birds than others. We usually average 3-9 miles of hiking. The dogs are anywhere from 50-70 miles. This was a hunt from last Saturday. We walked 7.2 miles. We shot all 3 species within a 100 yard area. Good luck out there!
That was a great day to say the least, When is season over ? I will be up

One other piece of info, I find that Chukar are around rock outcroppings if they’re islands on the mountain, saddles and scree slides. Along with anywhere else but I always get a bit more excited if I’m approaching that type of terrain.

Did you hunt any of the Nevada spots I sent you in PM? Just curious if they're still producing 30 years later.
I am heading to Nevada soon and could use some intel??? 70 now so probably slow and steady! Have hunted near Winnemucca couple times… had an ablation last December curios how it all works out. Thanks

I am heading to Nevada soon and could use some intel??? 70 now so probably slow and steady! Have hunted near Winnemucca couple times… had an ablation last December curios how it all works out. Thanks
I tried answering you in a PM but it wouldn't go through. It might be that there's a minimum # of post's needed to receive PM'S.

Have made two trips so far,Oregon to Nevada. Numbers are really down ,not a very good hatch this year. Most birds are in the bluffs , high and rough but fun . Good luck

For late season birds in areas without obvious green up, has anyone found that any particular slope side is more likely to be productive? I found west-facing slopes held the most huns and chukar, followed by east slopes. I would have guessed the south slopes. I'm hunting southwest Idaho foothills.

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the Boise area and upland hunting in general. I've been working the Owhyee's for a few outings and I've run across huns and quail but I've yet to see any chukar. Any advice on areas for late-season chukar nearish to Boise? I've been to Silver City area a few times and little jack's creek/ mudflat road area. Any areas you're willing to share would be greatly appreciated. I'm working with a 1 year old Vizsla puppy so I'd just like to get him on some birds before the season is over. He's not trained well enough for us to have great success this season but I'd like to get him into some conveys. The plan is to have him trained well enough to have better luck next season.
How'd the hunting end up out there on the "owyhee" between Boise and the reservoir? I've been hunting out there a lot of years and am packing up to do the same next week. Can't wait. Still get excited. This will be the first year with a small boat and hunting along the reservoir itself. Come out for a day or more if you are into it.

Back