NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Boiled Peanuts

Elkhunter

Well LB made me two big pots of boiled peanuts over the weekend. It brought me back to my childhood days of doing that in the farm country of Georgia. Someone gave us some raw peanuts and I have had a craving for them. Will get some ziplock bags today and freeze some for future use. Will make a dandy snack come hunting season.

You need to try them. They are about the best snack there is. Now I need to get some of the people here to bring me some when they come back for the summer. I will save a bag for the fall, should you be able to make it down.

Elkhunter boiled peanuts rule!!!

I make them year around, almost wore out the pressure cooker, thats okay I have the gas cookers outside.

I'll have to try and make it a point to make it down there just for the peanuts it sounds like....LOL!!! :D :D

Maybe I can get this new guy, Dawn2Dusk to get me some. Do a swap with him. He can drive out here with a load of peanuts for an elk hunt

Elk I not sure what a bushel would cost or a big bag. I buy them at the super market for $1.50 a pound. I get 2 pounds and that last me a day or so. I cook them up and eat them when fishing, driving, at work or when ever.

I will check some local produce stands and get a price for you.

hey guys dont forget me since I drive a truck i could bring a whole bunch to swap for an elk hunt
:eek:

All right dangit, I've lurked on this thread for a week now waiting for you people to post a recipe. You're just not gonna do it, are you? ;) Is it just that; do you just boil peanuts? What's with the pressure cooker? Help me! :confused:

I've got a friend who's a boiled peanut freak and orders big a$$ed bags of raw nuts from Virginia...cough up your recipe and maybe I can fix you up with some. :D

Here you go Darren:

BOILED PEANUTS:
4 lbs. green peanuts in the shell (raw peanuts are the same thing. Make sure the peanuts are not the planting type that have been treated with insecticide - just a tip, not a warning from personal experience).
6 to 8 quarts of water
8 to 10 tbs salt to taste but remember you can always add more
Wash green peanuts and place in a large pot with water and salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Boil slowly for 90 minutes to 2 hours. Keep the water briny and add water and salt as needed. See if they are done after 90 minutes. Peanuts should be soft but not mushy. Rinse in tap water. Drain well. After cooling the boiled peanuts may be frozen in zip-lock bags. When ready to serve, simply reheat to a boil and drain. I prefer them cooled after the first boiling.

Boiled Peanuts
4 pounds peanuts
6 quarts water
6-10 tablespoons kosher salt
cover peanuts with water, boil slowly for 1 1/2 -2 hours.
water should be briny. add more water and salt if necessary.
Test to see if peanuts are soft inside, but, not mushy.
allow to soak for 30 minutes, drain.

Title: Boiled Peanuts Categories:
Snacks Servings: 8
Peanuts,raw Water
1. Wash raw peanuts thoroughly in cool water; then soak in clean cool water for about 30 minutes before cooking.
2. Put peanuts in a saucepan and cover completely with water. Because the shells of some peanuts absorb more salt than others, it's best to begin with 1 tablespoon of salt for each 2 cups of peanuts; you can add more salt to taste later.
3. The cooking period for boiled peanuts varies according to the maturity of the peanuts used and the variety of peanut. The cooking time for a "freshly pulled" green peanut is shorter than for a peanut which has been stored for a time.
4. When fully cooked, the texture of the peanut should be similar to that of a cooked dry pea or bean. Boil the peanuts for about 35 minutes, then taste. If they are not salted enough, add more salt. Taste again in 10 minutes, both for salt content and to see if the peanuts are fully cooked. If not ready, continue tasting every 5 minutes until they have a satisfactory texture.
5. Drain peanuts after cooking or they will continue to absorb salt and become oversalted.
6. Boiled peanuts are usually served as a snack, but they make a great substitute for dried cooked beans at any meal. They may be eaten hot, at room temperature, or chilled in the refrigerator and eaten cold, shelling as you eat them. They will keep in the refrigerator for several days, or they may be frozen. MMMMM

There are some different ones, but they are just about all the same. Last week I did a search on them and got lots of recipes for them and some suppliers that seemed to be a little spendy.

I asked the guy about his nuts ;) and he said that after shipping they were something like $8 for a 2-pound bag???? I'd call that spendy, to be sure!

I need to find some southern boys that are coming out here and have them bring them out. I am going to call one of the owners here at the complex to see if they can bring some out with them in July when they come.

Elkhunter my bad man, I forgot about ya and the peanuts. This is the first time I have even been online in while.

I will hit the first farmers market I come too and see what there costing. The only way I can get them to you is by shipping and that will get pricey, a large bag weighs 75-100 pounds. I remember well from when I was a young lad and worked the produce stands at the flea markets.

Elkhunter I got a peanut price for you. The lady near me can get me a 100lb bag for $40. She is buying them out of virginia. You might be able to find a produce stand near you that can do the same. I don't think it would make good economic sense to ship them from Florida, but thats your call I will be more than happy to help ya out.

Shane, I bet it would cost me dearly. One of the owners here is from Virginia so I am going to see if they can bring me some out when they come. Thye will be driving out here. One of the peo-ple I work with is also going back there in the fall and is driving, so they can bring me some back also. I thank you very much for checking on that and giving me the heads up on Virginia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back