Bobcat's first yote of 2009

riverswild

We went to an area that Bobcat had scouted, but never hunted. When we got there we quickly noticed that it had recently been logged nearby. I wanted to take a look “over the hill” and found a downhill slope that was logged with reprod along the right side.

The wind was light from our left to our right and Bobcat set up downhill about 50 yards from me. He had the Foxpro about 25 yards away on his right side. I couldn’t see Bobcat, but wanted him closer to the call since he was shooting his shotgun. I hunkered down behind a fallen log and didn’t really have a great field of view.

I ran a hi-pitched cottontail sound for almost a minute, but didn’t like it and I switched to DSG. After about another minute I tried to reposition a bit so I could see Bobcat. What I saw was the shotgun come up and go BOOM! I quickly looked to the left and saw the coyote just as the shotgun went off again. BOOM! Spinning yote, right in the mud puddle. The dog came to 25 yards when Bobcat raised to shoot and it died only a few yards away.

IMG_4505web.jpg

It was a small male with a kind of ratty hide. I drug it out of the puddle and Bobcat went for the camera. It was the only dog of the day though we did end up on a couple fresh sets of tracks. Some guy and his dogs walked in right behind us and blew that set. But it was a great day other than that.

Back