Bobcat trapping

I'm not Wytex, but the dog proof foothold traps are VERY effective for raccoons.

I have some of the Lil Grizz Getters from when they first came out but there are several cheaper versions out now.

https://www.animaltrapsandsupplies....MI9NWJleSG4AIVENvACh0XGQo5EAQYASABEgJpD_D_BwE

I've found just about anything works with them from cat and dog food to small marshmellows.

VERY easy to set and VERY effective. My first time using them I had 9 raccoons in 12 traps overnight.

Take this advice, I'm sure npaden has taken more coons than us. Ours was not a targeted catch.
We have some dog proof traps to put out in the barn but the coons have not been very active during these really cold nights and days. Mini marshmellows will be our bait when we do.

Got the bobcats boarded. Legs out for a day then up Nevada style.
2 Pretty nice sized females and a medium one. They stretched 40+, 40" and about 35 ".DSCN2121 (810x1080).jpg

That first one is nice! Any reason on why the other two have more of a golden color and less defined spots?

The 2 are typical bobcats for around here, kind of reddish on the back. The other one had spots all over it, even the back. Be interesting to see what price is offered.
I also have not combed them. Good heavy fur on the reddish ones for sure.

Good looking cats. Did you weigh them? Do you skip the fur in phase and just start with the fur out?

wytex,

Enjoy the lesson. Never trapped and never will. So positive with your skills. Enjoy. Hope you cash in well!

Awesome stuff. I'm still new to the trapping side but having a decent year hear in MS so far. I killed this kitty a few weeks ago.
48387714_10156846269810539_738219648851378176_n (1).jpg

B0D0DD82-6274-4BE1-88BE-D02E2BB99AB5.jpg81250DF5-E4AF-4E20-A400-3DE910C10BCC.jpgHere’s a couple of Idaho cats. I have a lost one I’m going to search for later today.

We did weigh them, 14 lbs,19.2 lbs and 19.4 lbs. 35" 40" and 41" on the stretched length.
They were boarded hide out for about 2 hrs then a dusting of baby powder and turned fur out.
Legs got pinned up today.

Nice cats with lots of spots !
Did it take a drag brymoore?

Pinned the legs up and combed the fur. Should be ready in a week or so.

DSCN2127 (810x1080).jpg
DSCN2130 (810x1080).jpg

Sold a couple of the bobcats. Brought a decent price. We're keeping one to send to the tannery.

The biggest one has too much brown on the belly for a good price , knew that but she'll be pretty tanned , or perhaps someone else will buy her.

Saw some pretty coyotes go for not very high price,no guard hairs. Best averaged about $30-35 stretched and dried.
Our snow really does a number on the guard hairs it seems. Take 'em in late Nov. here for the best price.

Beautiful pelts. Do you keep them as trophies, ie mounts. Are they for sell? A bobcat one the wall would be nice!

I honestly enjoy your posts. Not a trapper, but enjoy the subject.

Excellent. I'm hoping they will have a season here before too long...lots of cats here now.

Sold the nice ones and kept the off colored one for tanning as a wall hanger or to sell. They make a nice decoration for a man cave or trophy room, even a coffee table rug.

If you look at brymoore's cat it has beautiful spots and a nice white belly, good size too. He'll get a nice price for that cat, way more than we did.

Nice cats wytex and i would like to have some rocky places like that to set. Most of my cats are in dirthole sets. Never had much luck here without covering on traps.

Back