Boat Question

JLDemo

We've been looking for a Jack-of-all-trades boat for some time and found what we think is a good one. Only issue is I've never had any experience with this brand and wondering if anyone has?

The boat:
2004 Nautic Star 200SC Sport Deck
115hp 4-Stroke Yamaha
Has livewell/Fish finder
80lb thrust troller

I have small kids and not really needing a monster motor to pull them on skis or a tube. Would like it spunky enough to pull me or my wife on skis. Fishing is a must so being nimble and space is a requirement. It's within our budget but it's also 3.5 hrs away south of Tulsa. Before we drive to go look wanted to see if the masses on here have any experience with this brand or a deck boat such as this beforehand. Thanks.

I wouldn't think you would have trouble pulling a skier. Just keep in mind that an outboard loses about a HP of power, every year of use. If the motor is a 2004, you will realistically be getting about 99hp out of it. I'ts a little on the light side but if you are not real heavy and in decent shape, then I would assume it can get you out of the water. You can always buy bigger skis if you need more lift.

Here are the specs if you had not seen them. http://www.boats.za.net/boat-specs.aspx?boat=Nautic-Star-200SC-Sport-Deck-2004&bt=33000

So it's a 20' deck boat. Rated for a 150. I wouldn't think skiing behind it would be much of an issue. Maybe have to drop the prop pitch especially if you want to pull an adult out of the water on one ski unless they're experienced and strong. Would think it will be a good family boat but not a serious fishing rig. Going to be a bear to handle trolling motor in the wind. I'd want to know how many hours on the outboard and results of a compression check before I drove to see it. I like deck boats more than pontoons.

A good family fun boat but not an effective fishing boat. If fishing is important there are better options that are still family friendly. Challenge is finding a good one in your price range.

We had similar style deck boat - super fun for the family tubing, skiing, kneeboarding, swimming/sunning, and basic fishing. Not great for real heavy fishing. I don't like fiberglass for fishing up in these parts because rocks are part of the game. Was heavy and sluggish in manuvering. As the family did less of the tubing/kneeboarding, etc I sold it and went with an aluminum Lund for my son and I to fish out of - much better for fishing, and still able to pull the tub if called upon. Not great for skiing/knee boarding.

I wouldn't think you would have trouble pulling a skier. Just keep in mind that an outboard loses about a HP of power, every year of use. If the motor is a 2004, you will realistically be getting about 99hp out of it. I'ts a little on the light side but if you are not real heavy and in decent shape, then I would assume it can get you out of the water. You can always buy bigger skis if you need more lift.
Where are you getting this data from. So a 2004 15 horse motor will not run due to HP loss? On what scale are you getting this information from? Two stroke or four stroke? I'd like to hear more information backing this statement up.

Last edited:
Check the boat over well, but I would have a mechanic I trust look at the motor, that’s most of the investment in a used boat. If you’ve never been around boats much I’d take a few for a test drive before deciding on a style or floor plan.

I think they suck to fish from, but if it keeps the rest of the family happy...

Never owned one, but have 2 buddy's with deck boats around that year. Great boat for the family to hang out on. Fishing is ok, like drop line fishing. I've used one a few times striper fishing. Overall, not really set up for fishing. That motor is too light in my opinion, especially if you are pulling a ski. Those are some freaking heavy boats.

I've got that same Yamaha motor on a 22' pontoon and an 18' Lund. It zips the aluminum Lund along at about 40-45 mph top speed, pontoon only goes about 25 mph with a light load. With you're boat being fiberglass and heavier, I wouldn't expect over about 35 mph tops. It will get you up and skiing (two skis) and tube your kids, but it's not going to be a barn burner, single ski might be borderline. The Yamaha's are great, reliable motors, I've got three of them with zero issues so far.

I like Yamaha outboards, would be my first choice along with Honda.

But, a 2004?, I think you are getting into a high risk of major repair or replacement expense. Either of which are very expensive.

Thanks for the replies, they ended up selling it before we could make it down to put it in the water. Back to looking I guess!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back