Caribou Gear

A boat question

Dougfirtree

Hi all, I'm thinking of using my 16' Lund Laker boat as a hunting rig this fall. The spot I'd like to leave it, while I hunt, is a sandy/gravelly beach with a very gently grade. However, the potential for decent wave action is there. This boat is small enough to pull partially up on a sandy beach, but too heavy to get up all the way. I'm a little worried about it being banged around if I leave it on the beach all day. I'm also worried about the transducer for the sonar, which is mounted on the stern.
I figure I can always take the transducer off for deer season, I should be able to get around without it. But, I'm curious if any of you have any smart tricks for leaving a larger boat on a beach, or near a beach, etc. I'm sure this comes up for others from time to time. I would imagine that bear hunters in Alaska have to figure this stuff out... In any case, I appreciate any ingenious thoughts you might wish to share!

As for the transducer you can loosen the bolt that holds the transducer to the mounting bracket and pivot it up and out of the way, that way you wouldn't have to remove it all together and worry about having to plug the holes in the transom. As for the boat I know at the resort i worked at in high school they would make a ramp of sorts to pull the boat up on. It really only entailed some long board to go to the edge of the water then several cross boards (think of a ladder type structure) we would just drive the boat on as far as we could then pull it up further by had, they slide really good on the wet wood.

I would have similar concerns, and if you leave the back end in the water there is always potential for waves to break over the back of boat and fill it with water.

Get a few smooth round logs to roll it up on shore and out of the water on.
Could go to your spot(s) in advance, cut the logs and stash them there.

I think what you might want is an Anchor Buddy system. You drop an anchor in the deeper water that has a bungy type rode attached then you can pull up to the beach and unload and take a normal line and tie off to something on the beach with enough slack for the boat to pull back out into deeper water where it will float safely. When you want to retrieve the boat just pull it to the shore.

I think what you might want is an Anchor Buddy system. You drop an anchor in the deeper water that has a bungy type rode attached then you can pull up to the beach and unload and take a normal line and tie off to something on the beach with enough slack for the boat to pull back out into deeper water where it will float safely. When you want to retrieve the boat just pull it to the shore.
I wish I knew that existed this summer! Definitely a good solution to less than ideal beach conditions.

If you can find a protected bay from the prevailing winds that should solve the waves over the back issue. Just gotta play the weather report and hope they're correct. My biggest concern is the boat floating away while I'm off hiking. Should be able to recognize that it's going to be a potential issue because it'll mean it's windy out. On fort peck, I have seen guys use home made T's out of rebar that they push completely into the shore and run ropes back to the boat from there. Then the anchor goes straight out the front just in case. I'm going to be using that method next week; it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

I do it with my Jon Boat when Duck hunting comes this fall I will take transducer off like last year, because I would tear it off by accident. It only take 30 minutes to take off and 30 minutes to reinstall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back