Boat Paint Scratches - Tips Please.

Sytes

So, my baby has a few bruises in a tussle with a dock and choppy water... and yep, you got it - my rookie screw-up.

Put the boat in the water, placed two boat bumpers out, and tied her to the dock. It was a windy day with choppy water. Parked the truck / trailer and returned to my rookie surprise, the front bumper was on the dock and my boat repeatedly bounced against the public dock w/ limited dock bumper protection.

Lessons learned. I should have known the chop would rise the bow enough to toss the bumper out of the water. Anyhow, education received. Looking at different bumpers and contemplating a stringer with three or four bumpers to run from the driver starboard cleat to the rear one(?).

So - I don't like muh baby all scuffed up. Not sure if this is common and I'm making much to do over the common inevitable or if this lesson is in need of paint... I've found, via Hull I.D. the Hewescraft specific paint (2 oz bottle for $35!).

Tips for bumpers, methods to minimize a repeat, stringer / other ideas, to paint, buff and clean up or...this the life of Breaking Out Another.... As always, thanks in advance.

Pics:

1686335588690.png

Close up:

1686335624123.png

Right side of pic #1:

1686335698974.png

Ouch, that won't buff out. I always preferred larger fenders and try leaving more slack in your dock lines so the fender has a chance to fall back in the water if it does get tossed onto the dock. Also try to tie up to the leeward side of the dock so the wind is pulling the boat away.

If you want it to look like new you are going to have to spend the money on the paint to match. Of course you're going to have to sand it and fill it, then sand some more, then buff it. You'll have to buff the entire boat or it won't match the one really shiny spot where you touched up.

Or you could get a quart of this...https://prosolutionsdirect.com/products/duralux-marine-paint-enamels?variant=38038737387673 Paint it on and forget about it. You're probably the only one who will notice.

For me a boat is a means to get out, catch fish and have fun on the water. It's just a tool, some dinks and scratches don't upset me at all,

Looks like paint on aluminum rather than gel coat but I’d be disappointed with how it’s coming off like that after some dock rubbing. I would contact the manufacturer for some touch up paint assuming it’s a reasonably new, and the paint on the hull still resembles what’s applied at the factory.

Keeping paint looking good on aluminium is very problematic as any chips in the paint allows salt water to get in under the paint which will then blister and spread. To prevent this you will need to sand the scratches and surrounding area back to bare aluminium. Then high pressure with fresh water. Then acid wash with strong Marine grade acid, we use a brand Septone it's a pink colour. Rinse with fresh water, do this twice. Wipe over the area with acetone. Then seal the aluminium with a proper marine grade sealer, probably something available in a spray can if not use a brush. Then paint, preferably spray can again. To avoid this happening again, avoid at all costs if possible tying up with the wind blowing you onto anything. Looks like the black on your paintwork could be from tyres attached to the landing you tied to. If so, this will rub out by hand. We use a household product called Gumption, either that.. acetone or eucalyptus fluid should do the job. In my experience the best fenders to keep you off are the big round ones, bigger the better. Just exhausted myself.

Bet that's a gel coat finish. Not the same as paint. mtmuley
It's paint. They (Hewescraft) sell 2 oz containers for touch up - @ $35 a pop though.

Been reading various info on repairing paint issues and merely reading the process comes as one hell of a daunting task!

Thanks for the detailed info @Tussock . While I'm in freshwater currently I have treks planned (and possible retirement locations) for brackish and saltwater.

I'm curious what a boat shop would charge...

I'd imagine, at least some 300 grit paper on aluminum exposed areas to reduce flaking and a spray of primer to fill the fine gouges would suffice until... I decide how to attack this issue?

It's a '21 Hewescraft 210 Sea Runner. The paint usually flake as it has in the pic? I've another area that is on the port rear I need to touch up as well - I don't know how/when it occurred though it's predominantly flaking.

IMG_20230609_140927816.jpg

IMG_20230609_140931684.jpg

Might take it for a quote at a boat repair shop. Curious if an auto repair would equally be able to repair for less $. Figure they're designed for continuous paint whereas boats... Repair is a broad issue(?).

Thats unfortunate. I rebuilt an aluminum boat from the ground up including painting. What others have said is correct. Tape off the damaged area, sand down to the aluminum hull, prime, then paint. After that you will have to wet sand til its even with the original paint, then buff and polish the whole boat til it matches. If theres a clear coat add another step between paint and polish.

Its no easy task and requires a spray gun if you want it to look new. Id wager a shop will hold you to B.O.A.T. at least one time if not two. Almost but not quite worth an insurance claim. Buying the equipment and DIY could be under $500 I bet with a cheaper sprayer or borrow one from a friend like I did.

Edit: Looked at the photos again. A shop would probably repaint most of the side of the boat, its bad…. Its not just a patch. Insurance claim may actually be worth looking into as well. Graphics (paint or sticker?) are damaged too Tough spot, sorry.

As far as priming, follow paint directions. Some paint designed for aluminum (like the one I linked) doesn't require primer. Instead you acid etch the aluminum then just apply the paint. I used vinegar, as suggested by the manufacturer, to etch my boat before paint. It worked great and has lasted for five years so far.

Will Hewscraft tell you what they painted it with? I would guess an epoxy primer and urethane top coats. No easy way to fix it. It has to be sanded back, faired out, and built back up and then blended back into the existing paint. To answer your other question, yes an automotive body shop can fix it no problem. It’s just expensive because it takes a lot of time and these paints are really expensive.

It appears to me other than the obvious gnarly scratching, the aluminum was not prepped well in some areas. Coatings should not peel off like I see in a few areas. Anyhoo, a good body shop dude or gal (trying to be inclusive) would not have a problem with that repair. It is time consuming and coatings are expensive , but not as time consuming as a gelcoat repair!

Good ideas above. Get yourself a set of dock "whips" and the wind will not be your enemy again.
Are those able to connect to public docks? I checked out your suggestion though seems that's a great method for private docks - they appear to be a permanent mount to the dock(?).

I submitted a claim and the adjuster said to ride out the season and once ready to be stored for the winter, they'll cover (less deductible) the expense of repairs.

the aluminum was not prepped well in some areas. Coatings should not peel off like I see in a few areas.

I have another area with the same type of issue. I'm not sure how this area was affected though the chipping seems a bit manufacturer paint poor prep - possibly? I've sent the pic off to Hewescraft for them to evaluate further.

Ext Stern Port No Claim.jpg

Are those able to connect to public docks? I checked out your suggestion though seems that's a great method for private docks - they appear to be a permanent mount to the dock(?).
Sorry, I missed that part of your post. I am sure they are not for use on public docks. I am a fan of the long slender bumpers to help avoid the dock banging as well.

I submitted a claim and the adjuster said to ride out the season and once ready to be stored for the winter, they'll cover (less deductible) the expense of repairs.

I have another area with the same type of issue. I'm not sure how this area was affected though the chipping seems a bit manufacturer paint poor prep - possibly? I've sent the pic off to Hewescraft for them to evaluate further.

View attachment 282802
I am sure there are others with more time in skill set than I on this, however, from my former years working with watercraft and aluminum, we shotblasted aluminum and then cleaned with solvent for paint prep. Some folks got away with sanding, but attention to detail makes for a long lasting finish,imo! Don't know if that is the case here. A worker could have laid a grimey hand on the boat prior to coating. Anyhoo, I really liked the comment "spray paint it and ride that bitch" Enjoy your summer!

Boat is too nice to spray paint. Maybe just for the summer if you tape it off so they know where to fix it properly. Or leave it for character til winter. Definitely go the insurance route to fix it and do it right. Will be upgrading my bumpers even though I painted my boat myself and its not nearly as nice as yours.

CF0DDBA1-5824-447C-B44D-631EC445617E.jpeg

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back