Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Boar Hunting

DaveAZ

Does On-X cover any states that have wild boar hunting? Is Texas about as far west as they go? Was thinking that on years I didn't get drawn for elk might be fun to pig hunt. Pretty good eating?

Pretty sure parts of AZ and NM have wild hogs. I know OK does. CA and HI have good amounts of hogs.
You will find hogs in all the national forrests down here in East TX.
They are pretty lean compared to farm raised pigs. I usually slow cook anything off them and add moisture. Even the loins can be tough if you grill them. Pulled pork from them is excellent.

Thanks, clharr for replying, and thanks for cooking tips. You're probably right about hogs being in Arizona. I just never heard about them being here. I used to hunt Morel Mushrooms in Minnesota in the Spring. I found my first on here in Arizona this year. Been living here for years and never even knew they were here.

Attachments

• 20200418_102558.jpg
    20200418_102558.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 3
In general pretty much anywhere in the deep south will have pigs. Some places more populated than others.

Meat quality varies. Some we caught last year near the end of a wet spring /early summer were almost as good as domestic pigs. Then as dry summer progressed pigs were noticeably leaner.
Killed 2 pigs in 2 days this past season in the same woods. Both boars about the same size. One was typical wild pig meat. The other I saved about 7 pounds of pure fat to mix with deer. It just varies but even the lean ones are as good or better than deer.

On-X does cover states that have wild and ferral pigs. The states I know about is all the deep south states, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas, Georgia and then New Mexico and parts or Arizona. I do not know anything about the other states but I understand that wild pigs from Canada has spread to Montana. For Texas, no license is required. You can just shoot them. I recommend finding an outfitter to show you around though because finding property owners who will let you shoot cold turkey is for the birds.

Its edible but not like the pork you buy at the Piggly Wiggly. They generally vary in taste from one animal to the next. Not sure the reason for the quality differences but we have shot two similar size hogs out of the same field I have had them taste different. As far as processing my best luck with using the meat for sausages including summer sausage Mixed with fatty pork trimmings or pork butt Good luck also cutting it up into smaller cubes and braising. As far as wild meat I prefer venison over wild hog.

On-X does cover states that have wild and ferral pigs. The states I know about is all the deep south states, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas, Georgia and then New Mexico and parts or Arizona. I do not know anything about the other states but I understand that wild pigs from Canada has spread to Montana. For Texas, no license is required. You can just shoot them. I recommend finding an outfitter to show you around though because finding property owners who will let you shoot cold turkey is for the birds.
WyoDoug you still need a license to hunt them on public land, no license required to hunt them on private with landowners permission.

Az. has boars on a high fence operation down south,
Cal. is loaded with wild pigs, I hunted them in Northern Cal. 💥

WyoDoug you still need a license to hunt them on public land, no license required to hunt them on private with landowners permission.
True in Texas anyways. I know nothing of any state with the exception of Texas and Arkansas in that regard. I can't confirm Arkansas but you are probably right there too.

I got family and friends in both so I have access to private in both states and the same with Florida but not sure when I will get to hunting hogs there.

Sorry, Texas was what I was talking about.
We hunt them on family land also in Texas.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back