PEAX Equipment

BLM/HMA/map overlays for GPS

M

MN Public Hunter

I'm no expert when it comes to GPS's and the maps available for them now and I'm thinking I might need a new GPS that will tell me that I'm on public land(BLM or HMA or WIA) vs on some ranchers land for the upcoming antelope hunt in WY.

I know you can get the maps from the vendors like Garmin or Delorme, but do they actually show the outlines of the BLM and pinpoint your location to 3 meters and show you are actually standing on the BLM land?

How about HMA or WIA overlays?

I'm 100% open to suggestions to equipment(GPS) and links to maps and stuff other people are currently using.

Thanks...Garret

I know you can get the maps from the vendors like Garmin or Delorme, but do they actually show the outlines of the BLM and pinpoint your location to 3 meters and show you are actually standing on the BLM land?
Nope.

How about HMA or WIA overlays?
Nope.

But, you can download/buy a program that allows you to upload the data to the unit. Some of this data is available for free online and the rest could probably be had with a few phone calls/contacts to the appropriate state or federal office.

If you're worried about wandering off a HMA in WY, I wouldn't. If you can read the ones that I've hunted are very clearly marked. FWIW.

The new Garmins - Colorado, Dakota and Oregon models can download All Topo Maps V7 onto them that also have 1:100 BLM maps on them.

My gps is an extex I dont think it would work for mine.I am giont to just try going of quardenets for boundaries

I plan to buy one this week.
Really? Why not buy the program to converty shapefiles to a format you can put on your Garmin (about the same price as one state), then just get the shapefiles from the agencies? Just wondering...

Miller- when you get the card in your GPS and have a chance to ground-test it this spring, let us know how boundaries match up. From the VERY little I've been able to play with this map set the boundaries have been close but don't match up exactly with what's on the ground. All of these maps that use the cadastral information available from MT's NRIS are that way. If you have the capability to layer the cadastral shapes over an aerial photo, USGS quad, or BLM map you'll be able to see it. Some are right on while others are several hundred feet off. All in all it looks like a great map set and much easier than using ArcMap and DNRGarmin to get boundaries onto the GPS!

I met the owner last two weeks ago and checked out the maps. They seemed pretty good.

Last week I worked with a couple guys that were using the Montana backgrounds. Very nice. I plan to buy one this week.

Did they happen to say how they actually make the overlays? The only pitfall is the 100-130 bucks for just ONE state. For sure keep us up to date on how it works out. I might have to get a new Garmin and the WY map. To me it's worth it to not be in the wrong spot. :)

This is the only one I happened on that was exactly what I was talking about as I guess I finally put in the right search words into google.

This is a pretty cool product for GPS applications. I think it is supposed to be avalible in a PC version soon. I personaly have never used it but a friend of mine has the ND version and he said it is really good. It comes as a SD card that you plug into your GPS.
http://www.koutdoorproducts.com/

Meat- What do you mean the maps and the aerial photos don't line up? If the maps were made correctly with current survey data they should be right. However, I can attest that not all fences that were to be located on property boundaries are. Many are off, some as much as nearly 1/4 mile.

1 pointer- the cadastral layer that these maps are made from is only as accurate as the GCDB information used to draw the parcels. I've seen GCDBs with up to 400 feet of error. Most times it's less than that though. The parcel lines are usually "close enough" but one can't be too careful when navigating small pieces of public land. I'll try to get some screen shots tomorrow to demonstrate.

Gotcha! IIRC when I was helping set GCDB corners we wouldn't set them less than 100ths of inch off. But, we did find that many of the rock corners or older surveys markers were off.

Do any of you use the Garmin Oregon ?? I'm wondering if the camera feature is worth the extra $100 bills..?? I've been reading some reviews, but haven't found any pertaining to the camera feature yet. Any help is appreciated.

After some research I bought the pre-camera version (400t) for $150 off at REI. Love the 400t, which is now (or was) on clearance in a few places.

My thinking was I needed a 'good' camera anyway to do what I wanted ( I try to relive all my hunts as the cover feature on hunting magazines :rolleyes:) so the Oregon camera feature was not a big draw. For crummy picture quality I have my cell phone in a pinch. Oregon camera is 3.2 megapixel so would suffice for trophy photos IF it has a timer feature. Although would not allow much resizing before picture quality fell apart, IMO. about like a good cell phone camera?

there is a gps camera review here:
http://www.gpsfix.net/garmin-oregon-550t-first-impression/

Last edited:
Do any of you use the Garmin Oregon ?? I'm wondering if the camera feature is worth the extra $100 bills..?? I've been reading some reviews, but haven't found any pertaining to the camera feature yet. Any help is appreciated.

A gps with a camera....hummmm...I would say not.

Miller- when you get the card in your GPS and have a chance to ground-test it this spring, let us know how boundaries match up. From the VERY little I've been able to play with this map set the boundaries have been close but don't match up exactly with what's on the ground. All of these maps that use the cadastral information available from MT's NRIS are that way. If you have the capability to layer the cadastral shapes over an aerial photo, USGS quad, or BLM map you'll be able to see it. Some are right on while others are several hundred feet off. All in all it looks like a great map set and much easier than using ArcMap and DNRGarmin to get boundaries onto the GPS!

Meat, I have been out a few times with the card and am very impressed. Boundaries appear to match up exactly with my BLM 100K maps and the landowner information is great. I did have a spot where some newly acquired BLM land was not the colored correctly (yellow), but the owner information was correct (US BLM). It works for what I need and I am not smart enough to pull stuff from ARC into my Garmin. Two thumbs up from me.

Did they happen to say how they actually make the overlays? The only pitfall is the 100-130 bucks for just ONE state. For sure keep us up to date on how it works out. I might have to get a new Garmin and the WY map. To me it's worth it to not be in the wrong spot. :)

This is the only one I happened on that was exactly what I was talking about as I guess I finally put in the right search words into google.

I thought the $140 for all of Montana was a great deal. Of course if I was going to spend a week in CO hunting, I would not be interested.

I am liking the Oregon very much.

you can get free land ownership status overlays for garmin units for a few states, WY, CO, AZ that I know about at gpsfiledepot.com

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back