Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Onx maps for deer?

michsteelguy

So here's my deal...... I'am fairly new to western hunting (with a couple of hunts under my belt) and have used my ONX maps for the past few years but have struggled with certain aspects since day one. For the most part, I understand how to use the layer features, but applying that info to western DEER hunting has been difficult to say the least. I have watched so many YT videos, listened to Randys podcasts, and even read Gohunt articles, trying to find some sort of direction or clue, but in the end I come up lost. I feel that 90% of ONX articles (IMO) are directed towards elk hunting, as most highlight the ability to locate water sources, burns, etc..

My first question is what do you guys look for (using ONX) when mule deer hunting, since some of that info doesn't necessarily apply to deer??? Let me clarify......not high country, but regular plains country for example. The only REAL "usable" info that I get from ONX is the public-vs-private boundaries..... although that feature is vitally important and the main reason I have it in the first place!

My second issue is in regards to understanding terrain and landscape while e-scouting. This is another feature I try and apply to deer "scouting", but have difficulty as well. I have dual computer monitors going (1 w/ ONX, 1 w/ google earth) so I'm able to get a VERY general idea of the terrain but nothing beats seeing it with your own eyes. I know ALOT of you guys are in the same boat (geographically not being able to scout where you hunt), so I'm hoping maybe someone can put me on a better path. Ya know.... I sit back and watch these YT videos and TV shows and say to myself...... THATS the kind of terrain I want to hunt but never seem to be able to understand what I'm looking at with google earth to put me in those general areas. Is it just best to pick a few spots, mark them with waypoints, and head west a day or two early and drive scout? When your hunting time is limited, everyday is valuable so I would like to do as much "groundwork" early, as I can, but I feel like my hands are tied until I actually get out there and see for myself!

Finally, I have an ONX question. Heres an example: When I see 2 dashed lines all over, are those 2 track trails that I'm looking at? Say they go from the main highway onto private and continue through BLM and onto private again. Is that 2 track completely off limits since it crosses onto private or are they state recognized trails that CAN be used for travel?? OnX has trails marked.... say TR100 (for example)...... are those usuable and state recognized as well? I didnt see any info on their site which explains that.

Thank you SO much for any help that you guys can share with me and hopefully this post can help others as well.

Lots of knowledge comes with time spent hunting, especially hunting the same or similar areas for several years.

To answer your road question, that depends largely on the state or county you’re looking at. Best to get road access info from the local county, as onx can and will be wrong on what is a public road from time to time. As a general rule, two tracks across private are usually off limits. Occaisionally the BLM or FS will have an easement across private, but you need to consult the agencies directly and not rely on onx.

I guess I might not fully understand your questions. Not trying to insult you, just trying to clarify. Is your question more about how to read the map, or just not understanding what mule deer like? Do you look at and understand the topo layers? I use those as much as, if not more than, the imagery to look for deer spots. Being able to see terrain on topo, and then knowing what the veg looks like from imagery, you can pick out spots with favorable combinations of features that look likely to hold deer.

I would look for some basic books on reading topo maps. That will help you with knowing what the hills and Such are like. Learning to read contour lines is important.

Once you learn to read the map and mix that with the overhead views you will be able to start identifying deer habitat.

I think one of the easiest crash course books you could grab on reading a topo is one of the military TM manuals. They are very basic and spell out all the details you need to get started.

Most times I’m hunting out west I find mule deer scattered all over from the valleys to over 13k in high altitude. They don’t seem to be as keyed in to certain geographic features as Elk are. I know in early season I can find Elk in the mountains on north facing slopes, with close proximity to water, and in hard to access places. I may be wrong (It happens often) but I don’t think mule deer are as discerning in their tastes for places to hang out, which is why there’s not as much deer specific E scouting info. I wouldn’t overthink it and I would be looking simply for places based on access, ability to leave the crowds and have enough cut up topography for deer to comfortably hide.

As far as the 2track roads you see marked on OnX you can’t assume they’re all legal access. Some will be, some won’t, and as madtom said it’s best to get local info from county level sources. You will find roads marked on onX that are not in the right place, or sometimes not even there. There are tons of roads marked that you won’t be allowed on in places. For sure don’t have your whole hunt plan based on access through a road with questionable access, that could backfire quickly.

I understand the challenge of Scouting from halfway across the country, but boots on the ground unfortunately is sometimes the only way some of those questions can be answered.

I guess I might not fully understand your questions. Not trying to insult you, just trying to clarify. Is your question more about how to read the map, or just not understanding what mule deer like? Do you look at and understand the topo layers? I use those as much as, if not more than, the imagery to look for deer spots. Being able to see terrain on topo, and then knowing what the veg looks like from imagery, you can pick out spots with favorable combinations of features that look likely to hold deer.
I have basic knowledge on reading topo maps but I'm inquiring about general habitat. As a lifelong Michigan deer hunter, I know that deer are best found near agricultural fields with some sort of cover (woods, etc.). I tried to apply that knowledge out west and hunt small (obscure) pieces of BLM close to AG fields but my frustration was tested to the max when after 2 weeks of hunting I saw ZERO deer on public (everything on private). Got boots on the ground (anyways) and never saw a thing. I guess I'am asking about deer habitat on large BLM tracts where no AG exists. Coulees and timber tracts are great cover, but what else should I consider?

Most times I’m hunting out west I find mule deer scattered all over from the valleys to over 13k in high altitude. They don’t seem to be as keyed in to certain geographic features as Elk are. I know in early season I can find Elk in the mountains on north facing slopes, with close proximity to water, and in hard to access places. I may be wrong (It happens often) but I don’t think mule deer are as discerning in their tastes for places to hang out, which is why there’s not as much deer specific E scouting info. I wouldn’t overthink it and I would be looking simply for places based on access, ability to leave the crowds and have enough cut up topography for deer to comfortably hide.

As far as the 2track roads you see marked on OnX you can’t assume they’re all legal access. Some will be, some won’t, and as madtom said it’s best to get local info from county level sources. You will find roads marked on onX that are not in the right place, or sometimes not even there. There are tons of roads marked that you won’t be allowed on in places. For sure don’t have your whole hunt plan based on access through a road with questionable access, that could backfire quickly.

I understand the challenge of Scouting from halfway across the country, but boots on the ground unfortunately is sometimes the only way some of those questions can be answered.
Thank you for responding and giving some great advice. I'am probably overthinking it, but just want to do as much as I can to be successful. I should just do what I can and enjoy the trip no matter the outcome.

I have basic knowledge on reading topo maps but I'm inquiring about general habitat. As a lifelong Michigan deer hunter, I know that deer are best found near agricultural fields with some sort of cover (woods, etc.). I tried to apply that knowledge out west and hunt small (obscure) pieces of BLM close to AG fields but my frustration was tested to the max when after 2 weeks of hunting I saw ZERO deer on public (everything on private). Got boots on the ground (anyways) and never saw a thing. I guess I'am asking about deer habitat on large BLM tracts where no AG exists. Coulees and timber tracts are great cover, but what else should I consider?

Before I moved to wyomjng I was mainly an east coast hunter. I understand what you mean.

They still want the same things. Food, water, shelter, and sex during the rut.

Shelter can be tucked away spots in a drainage or in clumps of sage...

Food....it could be fields....but it’s more than likely good browsing foods.

Water....tanks, creeks, ponds.

Sex/rut. Well it’s the same as back East.

OnX used to have mule deer seasonal information for some states. I don't see that anymore. I found it to be the most beneficial piece in my research.

If anybody knows where that feature is on OnX these days, help is needed.

Find some high ground away from roads. Get there an hour before first light and when light comes glass, glass and glass some more, but go slow and really pick the country you are glassing apart. If you’re in mule deer country you will see deer. Assuming you are not hunting during the rut, by 10am you are done until about 2pm, then do the same until dark. It’s really that easy. Note, Muleys are easy to overlook, so again, take it slow while you’re glassing and have patience, but most importantly have fun.

What kind of deer are you looking for? I feel I have gotten my monies worth, just by it telling me where I can and can't hunt. Private Vs. Public areas. I do drive out one or two times a year to scout, even if I didn't pull a tag, and I'll mark things on the maps with "pins".

Many times when I get home and open it up on the computer, I'll begin to see patterns develop as to where I'm "pinning" deer in conjunction to what else I have marked.

My second issue is in regards to understanding terrain and landscape while e-scouting. This is another feature I try and apply to deer "scouting", but have difficulty as well. I have dual computer monitors going (1 w/ ONX, 1 w/ google earth) so I'm able to get a VERY general idea of the terrain but nothing beats seeing it with your own eyes. I know ALOT of you guys are in the same boat (geographically not being able to scout where you hunt), so I'm hoping maybe someone can put me on a better path. Ya know.... I sit back and watch these YT videos and TV shows and say to myself...... THATS the kind of terrain I want to hunt but never seem to be able to understand what I'm looking at with google earth to put me in those general areas. Is it just best to pick a few spots, mark them with waypoints, and head west a day or two early and drive scout? When your hunting time is limited, everyday is valuable so I would like to do as much "groundwork" early, as I can, but I feel like my hands are tied until I actually get out there and see for myself!

Man nothing and I mean NOTHING, beats boots on the ground. I was surprised at how different it can be between google earth/OnX and real world. I've been applying for a few years for a West River, SD tag and last season went out to scout it. It's a lot different than it looks on paper to this MN Flatlander. My son and I took a trip out there and he popped a WT doe while we were scouting, under the Youth Hunting program.

If I were you, I'd get a long weekend or even fly in, rent a car and do some hiking in the area you're looking at.

If you have an REI nearby, they do classes on reading too maps. It would be worth your time. Another good tool is like ozone says and be on the ground with a map. Get in some country with contour & compare what you see on the map with what you see with your eyes. As far as finding mule deer- not meaning to be a wise-ass- but they're kind of where they are. Like others have said, get on the glass early and late in the day. When you see some, mark their spots on your Onx. If you do this consistently when you're in the field, you'll start seeing patterns.

Thanks for all the great replies everyone! All of your input gives me a better idea of what to expect and advice on how to utilize the features, that OnxMaps provides, as best I can. Boots on the ground (early scouting trip) is definitely the way to go, if I can swing it, but I agree that just being out there and keeping track of certain spots over a period of time will serve me well either way. Thanks again everyone!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back