BLM Grazing Overhaul

I'm very pro grazing.

But good Lord would someone in PR go smack the spokespeople for ranchers.

YOU GRAZE AT A VERY REDUCED RATE on land owned by 330 millionish people and you give quotes about how badly you are getting screwed? Ever priced hay? Or landprices? You aren't being screwed, if you don't like the rent, MOVE.

I'm very pro grazing and I read some rancher bitching, whining, complaining and it irritates me. If the citizens of the USA wanted to reduce my material costs, pretty sure if say THANKS.

I am pro grazing to an extent, I have a grazing permit in Montana which we do not use. Our permit is for specific dates, yet the permit next to us is year round! our permit is for 4 animals. I‘d like to see all cattle off BLM land two weeks before hunting season opens. My thoughts.

I am prograzing for the most part but i also think that the winter range of our wildlife should be taken into account. I know of some areas that are grazed heavily by cows all summer, then the deer move down to winter range and nothing is left for them to eat. Another reason these wild horses need removed.

In some areas its perfectly fine, although F&G better not use the lack of feed to control ungulate populations (remove the cows first). But domestic sheep have no place in areas even remotely close to our wild sheep.

And if the rancher cant get their animals off my public lands by a certain date then my "cow" tag is has been extended to Angus.

From the link:

BLM’s announcement also said changes will address how it handles unauthorized grazing on public lands by “strengthening controls to prevent unauthorized grazing, enhancing environmental protections across various non-grazing land-use programs, and improving public input opportunities.”

BLM’s proposals, however, are opposed by anti-grazing groups. The Western Watersheds Project says the proposed changes are an attempt by the Trump Administration to appease “grazing permitees that break the rules.”

WWP Deputy Director Greta Anderson told E&E News, a news organization focusing on energy and the environment, "We already see very, very few grazing permits undergoing environmental analysis as it is. The Trump Administration apparently intends to gut even that level of informed public participation in administering this heavily subsidized handout on federal lands."

Grazing is the olives here, not the pizza. Put this policy move in the context of every other public land move by this administration. Consistent to say the least. If I treated Trump's property the way he treats ours, they'd have to change the carpet.

Last edited:
If it’s not their private land, then it shouldn’t be grazed on. I’d rather see more elk and deer eating there. Grazing should be done on private land ONLY
Do you have this same opinion on all forms of private use of a public resource (O&G drilling, mining, ski resort, wind farm, solar array, etc.) or just grazing?

I really wish grazing could be used as a tool to allow more public access onto private land. Drives me nuts when ranchers complain about too many elk or deer on their land but they graze their animals on public land. Not sure how they could manage it but I feel like if they graze public land, they should have to allow some kind of public hunting or fishing access

I wouldn’t say I’m anti-grazing but it pisses me off that ranchers are getting to run cows on public land for such a discounted rate. We’re always hearing how federal agencies are under funded yet they charge peanuts for grazing leases. I would like to see cattle removed from public land before hunting seasons too.

I wouldn’t say I’m anti-grazing but it pisses me off that ranchers are getting to run cows on public land for such a discounted rate. We’re always hearing how federal agencies are under funded yet they charge peanuts for grazing leases. I would like to see cattle removed from public land before hunting seasons too.

The numbers are low for sure, but they are also mis leading. The ranchers have to hire full time cowboys to manage the cow herds all summer and provide them with all their living expenses/vehicles/equipment/ and any fencing/watertank materials that are necessary when they are running on public lands. If they lease private land they don't need to do that. The private landowner provides all of those things to them. Most ranchers would prefer to run their herds on private all day so they don't have to deal with the headache of employees and some of the whack ass government employees.

The numbers are low for sure, but they are also mis leading. The ranchers have to hire full time cowboys to manage the cow herds all summer and provide them with all their living expenses/vehicles/equipment/ and any fencing/watertank materials that are necessary when they are running on public lands. If they lease private land they don't need to do that. The private landowner provides all of those things to them. Most ranchers would prefer to run their herds on private all day so they don't have to deal with the headache of employees and some of the whack ass government employees.

Haha ummmmm no

If it’s not their private land, then it shouldn’t be grazed on. I’d rather see more elk and deer eating there. Grazing should be done on private land ONLY

Thats not how it works. Just because there aren't cows grazing doesn't mean there will be more ungulates. There still has to be more suitable winter range, water, and other factors. It's been proven that good rotational grazing practices enhance the range and forest health.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back