Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Blizzard. Send help.

I think it is so stupid that we get a winter storm warning with freeking 3" of snow forcasted in WYOMING! You would think that people who live here would be tougher than that.

Naming winter storms is the thing that drives me nuts.

Polar vortex Rita is gonna bring sub zero temps to the high plains and Midwest, or winter storm Helga is gonna bring snow and wind! Everyone hurry and panic! Stock up on everything that could possibly be left in store shelves! Fear sells.

Cold, snow, wind……. Call me old but that sounds like ummmmm WINTER!

So I'm 66 and the state shut down when I was in MT in 1975, due to below freezing temps & telephone pole drifts in a few spots. Mostly a couple feet and windy. Yeah -25 for weeks,but...

Deepest snow I have ever seen is in CA. Deep wet snow. Donner,Truckee,Tioga deep snows
Blasting Badger Pass to open it in July,60 feet of ice. Skiing Mammoth with 140" ,in spring.
Any trip to the mountains chains & or 4x4 was required. 2 feet is a dusting and 5 feet is a good one they said.
Digging into my cabin thru the upstairs bath window,in April. 7500' & 20+ feet of packed ice.

I think most folks sit inside in shorts & wife beaters these days, waiting for help. Everywhere.

We've been without power since noon yesterday. I can feel the slight chill setting into my bones.

Notice how all of the weather outlets predict a storm for 10 days out on say, Tuesday. Then a few days later it is Tuesday night. Then a few days later it is Wednesday morning and we end up getting 2" on Wednesday afternoon. Makes you wonder if this is because they want you to keep hitting their app with more clicks and the more they string it along, the more people have to click. It is NEVER the other way around.

Notice how all of the weather outlets predict a storm for 10 days out on say, Tuesday. Then a few days later it is Tuesday night. Then a few days later it is Wednesday morning and we end up getting 2" on Wednesday afternoon. Makes you wonder if this is because they want you to keep hitting their app with more clicks and the more they string it along, the more people have to click. It is NEVER the other way around.
What's an app???? LOL

Naming winter storms is the thing that drives me nuts.

Polar vortex Rita is gonna bring sub zero temps to the high plains and Midwest, or winter storm Helga is gonna bring snow and wind! Everyone hurry and panic! Stock up on everything that could possibly be left in store shelves! Fear sells.

Cold, snow, wind……. Call me old but that sounds like ummmmm WINTER!
I find it comical that those are all classic womens names. Just wait until Polar vortex Karen comes around. We are all screwed.

Not so much snow the past few days, but the temps are at new season's low's. But a couple/three weeks back we had temps in the mid 30's at ground level. Upper levels were in the 20's. Results... Big, Wet, Fluffy perfect snowball snow about 2-3 inches on the roads. The DMV was way ahead of the and salted the roads before it snowed, so no ice underneath....

I head out to my Midnight shift and only have to do a couple of swipes with the wipers on the windshield, good to go.

10 miles to work and the instant I crossed the city limits I'm forced behind Joe/Jane Bozo who Will Not do more than 25MPH (in a 45), AND is driving down the center of both lanes until there is the occasional oncoming car. To make it worse they would slow down to 15mph whenever there was the slightest downward slope in the road grade!

Yeah, I was late for work for the 1st time in 5 years...... :(

Not so much snow the past few days, but the temps are at new season's low's. But a couple/three weeks back we had temps in the mid 30's at ground level. Upper levels were in the 20's. Results... Big, Wet, Fluffy perfect snowball snow about 2-3 inches on the roads. The DMV was way ahead of the and salted the roads before it snowed, so no ice underneath....

I head out to my Midnight shift and only have to do a couple of swipes with the wipers on the windshield, good to go.

10 miles to work and the instant I crossed the city limits I'm forced behind Joe/Jane Bozo who Will Not do more than 25MPH (in a 45), AND is driving down the center of both lanes until there is the occasional oncoming car. To make it worse they would slow down to 15mph whenever there was the slightest downward slope in the road grade!

Yeah, I was late for work for the 1st time in 5 years...... :(

In my experience there is 3 types of winter weather drivers.

Us that try to go whatever speed the conditions dictate and do our best to stay away from other drivers.

Those that are scared to death going 1/2 the speed of smell that bunch up us drivers trying to make traffic flow.

Professional snow badass that has to show everyone how good of a driver he is by going 90, plowing into the guy going .5 and collecting some of us just trying to stay the hell away from them.

So I'm 66 and the state shut down when I was in MT in 1975, due to below freezing temps & telephone pole drifts in a few spots. Mostly a couple feet and windy. Yeah -25 for weeks,but...

Deepest snow I have ever seen is in CA. Deep wet snow. Donner,Truckee,Tioga deep snows
Blasting Badger Pass to open it in July,60 feet of ice. Skiing Mammoth with 140" ,in spring.
Any trip to the mountains chains & or 4x4 was required. 2 feet is a dusting and 5 feet is a good one they said.
Digging into my cabin thru the upstairs bath window,in April. 7500' & 20+ feet of packed ice.

I think most folks sit inside in shorts & wife beaters these days, waiting for help. Everywhere.
I heard it was 14-16 feet this month on Donner Summit. When you see the statue at the Donner Memorial, Damn! The plinth is 18 feet high, the depth of the snow when they were stuck there.
As a kid I remember riding in the back of the car over I-80 praying those walls of snow would not fall on us.

Didn't sound like much fun on I-95 in Virginia yesterday and today.

My sister was rear ended on the freeway up there yesterday. Major bummer of a situation for sure. Thankfully she is ok.

DIL sent a pic, will stay away until after SCI

Attachments

• 4DE9721E-FD07-4832-A034-BF99A5C9A98F.jpeg
    4DE9721E-FD07-4832-A034-BF99A5C9A98F.jpeg
    328.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 0C5D93D6-2040-4575-818B-FEE65AD8A98B.jpeg
    0C5D93D6-2040-4575-818B-FEE65AD8A98B.jpeg
    995.6 KB · Views: 7
I heard it was 14-16 feet this month on Donner Summit. When you see the statue at the Donner Memorial, Damn! The plinth is 18 feet high, the depth of the snow when they were stuck there.
As a kid I remember riding in the back of the car over I-80 praying those walls of snow would not fall on us.
Ever see the videos of the trains cutting their way thru?

Between fall and spring, I keep a sleeping bag, food, candles (light/heat source), etc, in my truck and my wife's car at all times. Even in somewhat mild weather, no need to suffer all night when you can pack a few things and be comfortable until you get help. This is even more important in winter when we get -55C weather...

A chick I knew from highschool went missing while moving to a different Province. She blindly followed her GPS in a snowstorm and ended up on a marked "road" that wasn't an all-weather road. She got stuck far down the road and was stranded there for a few days and the only reason she really made it was that she stayed with her vehicle which had everything she needed in it to survive as she was moving and had food, blankets, etc, in her car. She was found in the middle of nowhere days later by snowmobilers who couldn't believe someone had made it that far in a small car.

Ever see the videos of the trains cutting their way thru?
Actually have one around here somewhere on VHS. A gift from my train chasing BIL back in the day. Some day I will open a drawer and there it will be.
Stuff like that is a good reason to move every few years.

Back