Caribou Gear

blizzard birds

johnp

DSCN0683.jpg The Wisconsin dnr has adult learn to hunt classes. This last weekend was the ' learn to turkey hunt , hunt ' . Less than ideal conditions. Actually almost blizzard like , with 40 mph wind gusts ,sleet, then snow. There were 16 hunters , each hunter had a mentor. We stayed at a bed and breakfast near Spring Green wi. , scouted then had a potluck dinner fri night . Enthusiasm was extremely high , despite the weather. Shakti was the hunter who I mentored . Shakti , being from India had never hunted or even fired a gun before this class. We hiked up the hill to the blind before daylight , of coarse the wind had scattered the blind , decoys, chairs etc. So we get the whole show set back up, got the decoys out and sure enough we hear some tree gobbling . Soon two toms appear about 300yards across the corn stubble . Slowly they work our way putting on a good show, strutting ,gobbling closer and closer almost in range. Shakti had to change position ,the toms held up at about 50 yards, a bit too far . About that time more goobling from our left got closer fast , I told Shakti " keep the gun up, these birds are comin in". soon spitting and drumming could be heard and three toms appeared, finally one separated enough for a shot and Shakti had his first bird !!
We got back to the B &B as other groups were returning . Six birds were bagged by first time hunters . After thawing out and a big "shepards' pie lunch , we cleaned the birds, this was particularly interesting because one of the students is a doctor and she identified all the parts and organs and explained their purpose.
The other mentors and I enjoy helping out on these hunts so much we can't wait for the next one. John

So cool, Nice story John. Congrats to you and your hunter you helped, they'll never forget what you done for them.

I find mentoring a newb hunting as much or more enjoyable than getting one myself. Congratulations and thanks for your help mentoring.

Last edited:
Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back