Blind Squirrel

PaRn

First year as a NM resident, and I drew 16c first archery elk. It will be my first elk hunt ever.

I've been e-scouting, and have a couple dozen (lol) spots to check out. I plan to get down there at least twice in the summer to get boots on the ground. I am also waiting to hear back from the elk biologist.

I was hoping someone that hunted it before could confirm if I'm on the right track with my scouting plan. Also, if anyone want to get together to hunt, it will be just me and one other guy.

Thanks

Well, I was ultimately unsuccessful in 16c this year. Saw some big bulls while scouting (mostly on Cooney Prairie), but couldn't locate them once the season started. Hunted high in the wilderness, and low out on the flats North of 59. Had a cow broadside at 30 yards on the 2nd morning by Elmo tank, but decided to pass. Had a spike at 72 yards on the ridge above Wolf Hollow the next day, and shot over its back.

All in all, I had a blast on my first elk hunt. I certainly learned a lot. I met some great people at Wolf Hollow campground. Shane and Audra from New Mexico Cowboy Outfitters were awesome. Highly recommend them if you like to hunt with fun people. Already looking at draw odds for next September.

Well, I was ultimately unsuccessful in 16c this year. Saw some big bulls while scouting (mostly on Cooney Prairie), but couldn't locate them once the season started. Hunted high in the wilderness, and low out on the flats North of 59. Had a cow broadside at 30 yards on the 2nd morning by Elmo tank, but decided to pass. Had a spike at 72 yards on the ridge above Wolf Hollow the next day, and shot over its back.

All in all, I had a blast on my first elk hunt. I certainly learned a lot. I met some great people at Wolf Hollow campground. Shane and Audra from New Mexico Cowboy Outfitters were awesome. Highly recommend them if you like to hunt with fun people. Already looking at draw odds for next September.
I know Shane and Audra. Great folks. Our neighbors in Gila Country. My wife had first archery hunt in 15. Hot temps the first week. Not much talking but we did see many bulls. Bugling stopped after 7 am. She just didn't get any shots at bulls. Glad you enjoyed your hunt. Great country down south. Green as I've ever seen it.

Any information your willing to share on 16c would be greatly appreciated. I drew a first season rifle tag for 2023. Didn’t think I had a chance so I haven’t got as much research done as I would like.

Back