Blind or behind a tree?

338BearHunter

I have yet to connect on a turkey, but I seem to get closer every year. One thing that grates at me is the blind/vs plop your butt down decision. When I started, I would go in where I thought the birds would be (often from hearing them) and sit in natural cover trying to call them in. I've had them get close, but could never seal the deal (including one year where they all ran from a bear).

So last year I started using my deer blinds (pop-up doghouse style). Came close again, and if I had a powerful 12 gauge it probably would have happened. I see pluses and minuses to using the blind versus finding a spot using natural cover. I'm hunting on my own land, so the public access issue is not a problem (thankfully, I never seem to have hunters trying to use my land).

So please, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the blind-vs-ground method. I hunt in New England forests. My calling seems rather effective, but my decoys seem to do absolutely nothing for me, possibly because they're had to see from a distance.

Both work. How much property are you hunting? If its a small piece I would put a blind in the best spot, if its a larger piece I prefer to walk and call until I get a response and then set up with a tree at my back. Sitting still is the most important part of concealment.

Typically deke at about 30, tree at my back, gun atop my knee, net mask/gloves on, calls laid out where I can get em with minimal movement, mouth calling only once I feel he’s getting close, BANG!

Both work. How much property are you hunting? If its a small piece I would put a blind in the best spot, if its a larger piece I prefer to walk and call until I get a response and then set up with a tree at my back. Sitting still is the most important part of concealment.
Right now, I have two pieces, a 20-acre and a 40-acre. For this year, I have a blind at each property, but I could always move on if I chose. Both spots have bear/deer cameras set up and show turkeys, so they must be ok.

I have to ask, are you wearing a facemask while you call ?
Maybe your birds are just henned up, wait til later in season when they are looking for hens instead of tending them?

I use a small packable chair blind and a tom decoy. I’m way too old to sit on the ground for any stretch of time.

Right now, I have two pieces, a 20-acre and a 40-acre. For this year, I have a blind at each property, but I could always move on if I chose. Both spots have bear/deer cameras set up and show turkeys, so they must be ok.
If you can determine any sort of pattern as to when the turkey show up try to get there an hour before and set up. Personally I would be at one spot at daylight and listen for gobbles, if I hear one try to set up within 100 yards or so, depending on available cover. If nothing happens at the first spot I would walk the other spot and call, hoping for a response.

I have to ask, are you wearing a facemask while you call ?
Maybe your birds are just henned up, wait til later in season when they are looking for hens instead of tending them?
In my blind? No. Outside on the ground? Generally yes.

There were some incidents where I'm almost certain the tom(s) were henned up.

I only use a blind if my kids are with me. I’m using a decoy about 50% of the time.

Earlier this year I called a Tom into about 60 yards but he wouldn’t come closer. I think if I would have a decoy in sight to him he would have committed, but I’ve had decoys do the opposite too.

One thing I do with my turkey decoys is spray paint the heads a little brighter red and the wings a little lighter brown color. Since I’ve started doing that I think the turkeys aren’t as hesitant.

If I hear a turkey gobble I like to set up just behind a hill far enough they can hear me but see me if possible. When they pop over the hill they are in range and it’s to late for the old Tom.

If I’m not in a blind I like to find a tree with a deadfall next to it or in from of me. Small enough to see and shoot over or through but big enough to break up my outline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back