Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Blind black lab

Summitthunting

Found out Wednesday that 7yr old male black lab is going blind, and there’s not a damn thing that we can do about it. He has Progressive Retinal Atrophy which is apparently a genetically inherited disease. Has anyone had any experience with this? Can a blind dog have a decent quality of life? Should I call the AKC registered kennel and bitch?

Sorry to hear about your dog.

“Can a blind dog have a decent quality of life?”

Do you keep your dog inside or outside ?
If outdoors does he have a small kennel or the full run of the yard ?

It will take a little work and dedication from you.
If he is indoors have his designated area and don’t move furniture around or place anything different or leave things (obstacles) laying in his area.
When he has to go out (to potty) take him the same way (same path) each time- with no obstacles, into his designated area outdoors.
Preferably into a small kennel, again with no obstacles. Try to keep his routine the same each day with out placing anything out of the ordinary in his path or areas.
I’m sure sunlight is no problem where you live, have his outside kennel to where he can soke up the sun.
Dogs along with horses are a “creature of habit”, he will do fine, as long as things stay the same for him, day to day.
It is real important that his world stays the same, that’s where your dedication comes to play by making sure nothing changes in what he is used to. If he can still see some what, go ahead and start establishing his areas and habits now.
After he is settled in and more used to not seeing, you will probably be fine at taking him out for walks and such but remember all his trust is in you, don’t lead him in to an awkward situation.
Give him lots of TLC….

“Should I call the AKC registered kennel and bitch?”

It probably won’t do much good except make you feel a little better. I would probably let them know about your circumstances. A “bad gene” can be carried for several generations before showing up. They probably had no idea and their breeding was on good intentions or at least I should hope so….
Best of Luck
Robert

The way I understand it, AKC is just a breed registry, they really won't care.

I would call the breeder and let them know about this though. Maybe its something more than one dog out of the litter has.

Sorry about your dog. Now let me tell you about my Uncle's Bassett Hound. This dog was Blind at their old house and he used scent of where he went to give him direction, then after they moved out onto some acreage he did the same thing. Dogs are wonderful about taking a blindness because they have such a strong backup, their nose and ears. Hope this helps, John

I'm really sorry, that is a really bad deal. Give your partner a big hug! We had a customer that had a dog that was both blind and deaf and happy as can be. We just worked around him for 3 years as he chilled in the back yard basking in the sun. So it definately can be done.

To answer your question about quality of life, Yes, they can get along fine. My 15 year chessie is deaf, and blind or almost blind, hard to say. We moved the furniture around last month and he kept going to his side of the couch, only it wasn't there, we showed him where it was a few times and he now knows right where it is. He has walked into things outside and has been turned around a couple of times. You can tell he is not sure just where he is at when he just stands still and waits for someone or thing to tell him where to go. I normally send his son out with him and they stay close, on occasion when choc comes in with out him, I will send him back to find his dad. Choc will touch him with his nose and sonny locks on to him and comes in the house. He knows where I am by scent and will stay with me when we go for walks. If you are willing to put in the time, he will live a long and happy life. Not the best situation but a doable situation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleyhunter456
Back