Blackhills on fire

duckhunt

Sounds like the fires are going in South Dakota. What I read this morning is one home destroyed and hundreds of others evacuated. Hopefully they get this under control real quick.

I am packing truck/trailer right now, leaving in few days for trip that includes couple places in blackhills. None of the fire maps i check show any large fires in blackhills, the NF site has a couple little one(less than 100 acres) is there some bigger ones burning i dont see anything about? Thanks for heads up!

I am packing truck/trailer right now, leaving in few days for trip that includes couple places in blackhills. None of the fire maps i check show any large fires in blackhills, the NF site has a couple little one(less than 100 acres) is there some bigger ones burning i dont see anything about? Thanks for heads up!

Looks like the biggest is about 1900 acres

I’m sure the one that’s being referred to is in Rapid. Next to canyon lake. Picture my wife got from a friend. This is from the spillway at canyon lake. A different of my wife’s friends that lives at the golf course there got evacuated last night. CE3015DF-4D19-42DF-8FEE-8A05DC2B75EB.jpeg

Looks like everything major is just west of rapid city. I am heading west of that and been watching weather hopeful for warm dry weather to clear roads and then theres a fire, wtf! Last year on wyoming side turkey opener we had a blizzard... So early in year this is crazy, hope the best for all those impacted!

Generally speaking, western SD has been dry this year. Yesterday was super windy and the smoke was bad in town. My boss lives right at the edge of the evacuation zone. He is the only one at our shop that lives on that side of town though. Crazy how fast fire moves during dry conditions and bad wind.

If we don't get a bunch of moisture, this could be just the start. Yesterday I90 was closed for a good stretch (42 miles) about 90 miles east of Rapid City due to a fire and there is another small fire near Keystone which caused Mt Rushmore to close.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back