Black Ovis brand clothing vs Cabelas Instinct clothing?????

Braveheart

I am in need of a few things for my first elk hunt. Most of my clothing is for very little walking and treestand hunting. I was able to go to Bass Pro today and look at some of the Cabela's Instinct line of clothing. It all seem very well made and perfect for elk hunting. They had a great selection of merino base layers, soft shell jackets, puffy jackets and some really good pants. Although I have not field tested the clothing it seem very well made. It was right next to the Sitka stuff and seemed somewhat comparable which surprised me. Almost all of it was Tru Timber VSX camo pattern. Not the Mossy Oak that we use for everything from spring turkey, bow hunting, rifle season and late season hunting here.

I have also looked at several items of clothing from black ovis, mostly pants, merino base layers, soft shell jackets and puffy jackets. There items seem priced pretty close to the Cabela's Instinct line. I have never seen any black ovis items in person. I have watched a couple videos on their site and seen alot of their clothing displayed on various internet videos. Almost all of their items are earth toned, olive drab or stone. As I know critters careless about matching camo, I am not hung up on camo for sure. It seems like a guy could even wear some of this when not in the woods, but I try to never wear my camo stuff any where but the field to keep from smelling like the local grease spoon in the woods.

Literally two pairs of pants, merino base layers, soft shell jacket and puff jacket from both places totals within $25 of each other.

I was wondering if any of you guys had first hand experience with either of these brands and their longevity and actual field worthiness.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
I have Black Ovis clothing and have been very satisfied. I have their merino base layers and their granite peak pants (3 pairs now). If you watch CamoFire you can get them on sale and prly be cheaper than Cabela’s. Also have a couple different pairs of their gloves. The light merino gloves don’t last long, I think I got 2-3 seasons before most of the grippy dots started wearing off. Have no experience with Cabela’s Instinct line, IMO Cabela’s is the KMart of the outdoor stores now since they merged with Bass Pro. If your rifle hunting skip the camo and get solid earth colors and yes you can wear around anywhere etc. I’ve contemplated getting more and slowly converting over to merino for day to day but price wise and comfort I think cotton wins.

Those granite peak pants say light weight. Do you wear them for cold weather in rifle hunting? They also have a black ovis desolation mid weight pant. Do you know how those compare? I was thinking of getting one pair of each. Thanks.

I wouldn’t be afraid to check out the Amazon essentials merino wool to save a couple bucks. Pretty good quality stuff, in my opinion.

Those granite peak pants say light weight. Do you wear them for cold weather in rifle hunting? They also have a black ovis desolation mid weight pant. Do you know how those compare? I was thinking of getting one pair of each. Thanks.

I believe Black Ovis has changed the description since they released them. The first pair I got were marketed as mid weight IIRC. I also have a pair of cottonwood lightweight pants. The cottonwood are pure nylon or polyester and what I would wear during summer or early September archery on hot days. The granite peak have a polyester or something kind of knap that lines the inside, comfortable by themselves 35-65F IMO. Below freezing I usually just wear a merino base layer and have survived and been comfortable. Stopping to glad or eat sometimes get cold but that’s what puffy pants are for IMO.

Might have to give the desolation pants a try.

Not sure about instinct. But I have several pieces of Black Ovis off camofire and am generally happy with it all. Base layer bottoms and skivvies are pretty snug through thighs and calves, I'll order a size up on any more. But, I realize not everyone is gifted with a fire hydrant physique, some of us are just lucky!

My first upgrade was the instinct clothing. Very surprised on the durability. Just had fitment issues. The pants with the knee pads were very good for the price. Rain gear was too bulky and noisy. Quarter zip was polyester and had a bad smell.

It sounds like most of your hunting will be watching meadows. Pack in your outer layer and put it on once you reach your destination.

I have had good success with the Black Ovis clothing. Granite Peak is definitely warmer (medium weight in my opinion) than the Cottonwood Creek (lightweight). It has been extremely durable. I have not been as impressed with the Instinct

I am in need of a few things for my first elk hunt. Most of my clothing is for very little walking and treestand hunting. I was able to go to Bass Pro today and look at some of the Cabela's Instinct line of clothing. It all seem very well made and perfect for elk hunting. They had a great selection of merino base layers, soft shell jackets, puffy jackets and some really good pants. Although I have not field tested the clothing it seem very well made. It was right next to the Sitka stuff and seemed somewhat comparable which surprised me. Almost all of it was Tru Timber VSX camo pattern. Not the Mossy Oak that we use for everything from spring turkey, bow hunting, rifle season and late season hunting here.

I have also looked at several items of clothing from black ovis, mostly pants, merino base layers, soft shell jackets and puffy jackets. There items seem priced pretty close to the Cabela's Instinct line. I have never seen any black ovis items in person. I have watched a couple videos on their site and seen alot of their clothing displayed on various internet videos. Almost all of their items are earth toned, olive drab or stone. As I know critters careless about matching camo, I am not hung up on camo for sure. It seems like a guy could even wear some of this when not in the woods, but I try to never wear my camo stuff any where but the field to keep from smelling like the local grease spoon in the woods.

Literally two pairs of pants, merino base layers, soft shell jacket and puff jacket from both places totals within $25 of each other.

I was wondering if any of you guys had first hand experience with either of these brands and their longevity and actual field worthiness.

Thanks!!!!
I wouldn't worry about wearing solids out and about outside of the season. Greasy spoon or not, if an elk catches your wind it's going to blow out. Heck, if you eat at the stinkiest diner you can find before your hunt and roll around in the first elk bed you find, you might even have a decent cover scent! ;)

I like the idea of a lightweight and midweight pair of pants. If it's 80 degrees in October you don't want to be doing a bunch of hiking in winter-weight pants. Zip-off baselayer pants are real handy so you don't have to take off your boots to put on/take off the baselayers.

I have slowly started to switch over to almost all black Ovis clothing. I have been very happy with all their stuff. They only make clothing in solid colors so if your a guy that needs camouflage it’s probably not the clothing for you.

I'm still rocking Cabelas Microtex from the early 2000's, and even some Mothwing camo era Sitka Gear. I am leary of post BPS buyout Cabelas merchandise though. Most Merino is going to be quality stuff though. For where I live, Kuiu is practically local to me, so I tend to look there first.

If you can try on the pieces and they fit, todays hunting gear is 3x better than it was 15 years ago. I think you will be fine whatever you choose.

I have good success with the black ovis merino as a base layer, and then I wear some of the lightweight and midweight as casual wear.
The merino (for me) has worked great under something Sitka or Kuiu over it, whether it be camo or solid.
I agree with you @CowboyLeroy, it is more snug then the others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back