Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Black Hills SD - Help

utahminer

I'm hoping a few forum members would be willing to help out a western hunter that is really struggling with his first whitetail hunt. I spoke with a few guys from work that lived in the Black Hills years ago and their directions have proven to be fruitless. The last two days we have started seeing more deer as we have hiked through the timber around the bottom land farms, but all we are seeing are white flags as they dart through the trees. I normally spend lots of time glassing areas, but I havent been able to find much open country and have yet to see a deer in the open - I have driven past a number of golf courses in the morning and evening and have been surprised to not even see does or fawns; which I would normally see in Utah and Wyoming. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

If you're seeing deer, then set up and quit walking all over the place. Hunting whitetails in thicker stuff like you're describing by walking is just going to wear you and your boots out for the most part. I have turkey hunted out there west and north of Custer State Park a number of times and there are tons of whitetails and lots of open areas they go out into to feed throughout that whole area. Where are you hunting out there?

Whitetail hunting here is a lot different then mule deer hunting out west.Walking around wont cut it for whitetail where I've hunted.Find their bedding areas,and set up and watch for them to come out to feed or in the morning heading back to bed.Sounds like your trying to mule deer hunt whitetails

Although I don't have experience in SD, I am familiar with ND.

Open deer=Dead Deer. If a deer's relatives hit the dirt when they walk in the open, they quit hitting openings. Whitetail hunting equals hunting cover. (At least bigger whitetails). Find the does are bedding this time of year and wait. (IE Wait in heavy cover). The boyfriends are trolling and will come through.

Northwest of Hill City will get you into the Moon country. Hunt the burns, morning and evening. Always watch the edges, does early then the bucks. Tough to still hunt them in that country, lots of pressure.

I really appreciate all the help. I made a number of changes including a change to my hunting area and it made a big difference. I was really surprised how much whitetail and mule deer do not act alike. All in all, it was a challenging hunt that included: truck problems, gun problems, a sick child, and sprained wrist (slipped on a log while crossing a creek) all while trying to hunt a new species in a new area. That being said, I stayed positive and had a great time hunting with my son. I didn't bag a monster but I left with a huge smile on my face. Thanks again for all the help. Me and my family have already started planning another trip back to the Black Hills.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Glad you had a good time. Weather has not been great so far this year for the hunt, so glad you found a buck you wanted. congrats.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back