Yeti GOBOX Collection

Black Gold Ascent Verdict, Pro, or Mountain Light for hunting?

Which Black Gold sight for hunting?

• Total voters

LaSportsman

All, tried searches and googles but haven't found a comparison between Pro Series and Verdict. Will also throw in Mountain Lite as well.

Per title, which MBG sight would you recommend for hunting?

- not concerned with price difference between each.
- will go with microadjustable pins regardless via custom option if necessary
- leaning to 6" dovetail (will take recommendations on this)
- Going with 4 or 5 pins. Shooting at 60# draw weight on starter bow so I feel I need more pins.

Is there a a disadvantage to Mountain Lite other than a little extra money over Verdict to cut weight?

I have not had a good sight before and not used a slider. This will go on a Diamond Edge SB-1 for now with a new bow in a year or two.

if your going for the lightest weight bow possible get the mountain lite. Any of those will last you a lifetime tho so buy what you think your gonna like the most. I use a simple accent verdict with a 4 inch dovetail. Once i set a sight I dont typically move it unless I have to so ill take the extra time to set the sight up.

I have had the Ascent Verdict. In my opinion the Pro sight is over kill you dont need an adjustable dovetail sight bar. The Mountain Lite appears to be the same thing as the Ascent Verdict but one less riser mount hole offering on the mounting area. I personally go with the Ascent Verdict as you have three options as far as ablility to mount pin housing away from bow, this will help you fit your sight housing to your peep size.

I have had the Ascent Verdict. In my opinion the Pro sight is over kill you dont need an adjustable dovetail sight bar. The Mountain Lite appears to be the same thing as the Ascent Verdict but one less riser mount hole offering on the mounting area. I personally go with the Ascent Verdict as you have three options as far as ablility to mount pin housing away from bow, this will help you fit your sight housing to your peep size.

adjusting the housing to my peep sight is one of the things I look forward to the most. I went with a larger peep with my current sight but I still can't quite see the entire sight ring which causes consistency issues. I was shooting well enough when I was shooting daily but I know it will improve with the sight ring and peep matched better.

adjusting the housing to my peep sight is one of the things I look forward to the most. I went with a larger peep with my current sight but I still can't quite see the entire sight ring which causes consistency issues. I was shooting well enough when I was shooting daily but I know it will improve with the sight ring and peep matched better.
Is your sight as far from the bow as you can get it?

what size of peep are you running? How big is your sight housing currently.

what size of peep are you running? How big is your sight housing currently.

1/4" peep. 2" housing. Apex Attitude 5 pin micro. 28.5" draw length on Diamond SB Edge

When I moved up to a 1/4" peep, it helped a lot but I wish I could move the sight another inch away from the bow. It's 6" from center of brace so I wouldn't think I would have problems but I do.

If you go black gold I would recommend the smaller housing which I think is 1 3/4''

I checked after I measured mine and the black gold comes in 1.75" and 2"

My pins are spread across the housing because I don't have a fast bow but having a slider will help with that and allow for a smaller housing. I'll probably stick with 5 pins but with a slider, I'll have more options. I'll be upgrading to a faster bow eventually as well.

pins should spread out the further from the riser, come together closer to the riser your housing is also.

If you go black gold I would recommend the smaller housing which I think is 1 3/4''

Unless you want more than 5 pins...I run 6 on my Ascent Verdict sights and the 2" housing. No dovetail for me, I run the sight as far back as I can with a 7/32 peep which fits the housing perfectly on both my bows. One big consideration for me is pin size and color. I run GGYGGR with my 70 yarder being red and my 40 yellow, this makes pin selection a lot easier at crunch time because you always know immediately which pin 40 yards is and have two green above and below, plus the red 70 at the bottom. I also recommend going 0.019 for the top three (20, 30, 40) and 0.010 for the rest. You don't want 0.010 for all because they are really hard to see in the last 10 minutes or so of shooting light, but the 0.019 size covers too much of the target at 50 and beyond. If I ran a three pinner I'd go GYG with my bottom pin 0.010. When I hunt I never move the sight (I just gap shoot) and my max shot is 70, hence the 6 pins. I move the sight to practice at long range or when I want to use a specific pin at a precise distance on the 3D range.

Whatever you choose consider going with a custom set up with S&S Archery. I just ordered a Mountain lite custom through S&S. Save a little VS going through Black Gold directly. I was looking for light weight but wanted the gang Vert and Horz micro adjustments too which I added along with different sized pins (019,010,010) different colors (GRG. I wanted the option to set the scope way out if need be so added the 6" dovetail and 2" ring.

I believe if you are on Rokslide S&S gives discounts to rokslide members or they used to. I would ask about that when ordering.

As roughwater said, i got my ascent verdict from s&s. I strongly recommend them. It was a little less expensive than going through black gold as well. I also liked the different pin size option. My top 3 are .019, and bottom 2 are .010

As roughwater said, i got my ascent verdict from s&s. I strongly recommend them. It was a little less expensive than going through black gold as well. I also liked the different pin size option. My top 3 are .019, and bottom 2 are .010

That's what I was thinking on pin size as well.

Back