Black Gold sight - stock mount or dovetail?

lifesupport4u

I am new to archery.

I bought a used bow that has an older black gold ascent verdict sight on a 6" dovetail. I am replacing it with a new Verdict Assault.

So I have the option to use the stock mount or the used dovetail mount... not sure what will be better for me going forward?

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
If you are getting rid of the ascent shoot me a message. But if it were me I'd run the dovetail. It gives you more options as far as peep sizes because you can fine tune a peep to your sight with variable distances on the dovetail. and the closer you run your sight the smaller your pin gap and the more distance you get out of your slider. But farther out will show more bow torque and more pin movement but if form is great you are able to be more accurate with a sight farther from the bow. And last you can quickly remove the sight for storage or travel and put it back in the same spot. But either will work for you honestly.

If you are getting rid of the ascent shoot me a message. But if it were me I'd run the dovetail. It gives you more options as far as peep sizes because you can fine tune a peep to your sight with variable distances on the dovetail. and the closer you run your sight the smaller your pin gap and the more distance you get out of your slider. But farther out will show more bow torque and more pin movement but if form is great you are able to be more accurate with a sight farther from the bow. And last you can quickly remove the sight for storage or travel and put it back in the same spot. But either will work for you honestly.

That’s how I am leaning. I am going to sell it. I’ll shoot you a PM in the next few days. It’s a 5 pin. Works great- just older version. Has a little bit of wear.

That’s how I am leaning. I am going to sell it. I’ll shoot you a PM in the next few days. It’s a 5 pin. Works great- just older version. Has a little bit of wear.
Sounds good! You'll be happy with the dovetail. There really isn't a downside to it compared to a regular mount (except for a little higher priced) just more options for fine tuning.

I am by no means an archery expert, as I got into it late in life (9 months ago) but am now hooked. I went to a dovetail sight just for the simple reason my eyes aren’t what they used to be. Being able to push the sight further away from my eye has helped me keep pin and target both in focus when shooting longer distances.

When you get where you can not see either your pins or your target clearly, check out Specialty Archery's verifiers and clarifiers. Inserts for your peep sight that correct sight picture. I have been using one for about 4 years, and it was a BIG difference for me.
As for original question I agree with what was previously said. I perfer a dovetail mount as I can adjust sight ring to match my peep. Better consistency.

I use the BG dovetail, you will love it. I will never get another sight without a dovetail mount, for the reasons listed by Ajax.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back