Caribou Gear Tarp

Black eagle deep impact

Sask hunter

I know haven’t even made one archery season but looking at getting a few to try. Currently running the black eagle outlaw. Thinking of trying some to see how they shoot and will also gain a bit of arrow weight and have seen several reviews in on really good penetration which since I’ll primarily use it for moose and elk is a big deal

IMG_0933.jpeg

I made the switch to Black Eagle Deep Impact arrows back in 19 and have not regretted it! I got the outserts that you can add weight to so I could play around with FOC. My broadhead set up is Valkyrie 200gr Blood Eagle and 150gr Shwacker mechanical with 50gr of added weight.

I know haven’t even made one archery season but looking at getting a few to try. Currently running the black eagle outlaw. Thinking of trying some to see how they shoot and will also gain a bit of arrow weight and have seen several reviews in on really good penetration which since I’ll primarily use it for moose and elk is a big deal

View attachment 284463
I may have some that I would make you a good deal on. What length do you need?

Inserts are the main downside of any micro diameter (4mm/.166") arrow.

Because standard field point/broadhead threads (8-32) are too large to fit inside a micro diameter shaft, a "half-out" style insert must be used (if you want to stick with 8-32 thread components). A micro diameter half-out by necessity leaves the point/head cantilevered far out in front of the arrow shaft, which makes the half-out more prone to bending or breaking on hard and/or angled impacts. I've also heard of folks having trouble maintaining good alignment with the shaft when installing multi-piece half-outs (like Black Eagle's FOCOS system).

If you're willing to switch to "Deep Six" (6-40) threaded points/heads, you could use a hidden insert (HIT). A HIT sits fully inside the shaft, keeps the point/head closer to the shaft, and will withstand hard/angled impacts better than a half-out. However, there are very few options for Deep Six broadheads.

IMO the supposed juice of a micro diameter arrow (better penetration, less wind drift) isn't worth the squeeze (higher cost, insert dilemma).

A standard diameter (6.5mm/.245") shaft of moderate gpi (like your Black Eagle Outlaws) is my go-to recommendation for a hunting arrow. Such shafts are strong, relatively inexpensive, and compatible with good ol' simple flanged inserts. If you're wanting to go a bit heavier, just add screw-in weights behind the insert.

Last edited:
Easton axis with the brass HIT inserts or the Easton axis micro with the iron will inserts of your desired weight. Easy button and done.

I've tried deep impacts, rampage, gold tip kinetic, kinetic kaos, victory rip tkos, and a couple others, I keep coming back to Easton.

I'm shooting my last 2 dozen Easton carbon injexions with 75 gr iron will inserts. When those are done I'll switch to the new Easton micro.

I don't shoot micros for penetration, only because I can build an arrow with proper spine at my desired weight. My axis 260 set up is 50 gr heavier and gets a little slow for yardage forgiveness. But that is a hell of an arrow and I would not hesitate to break them out if micros were unavailable. I keep 2 dozen of those in my reloading room just in case.

Only thing micros penetrate better on is foam. Slap a blade on the front and you can't tell me 1mm is going to be a deal breaker.

Last edited:
Inserts are the main downside of any micro diameter (4mm/.166") arrow.

Because standard field point/broadhead threads (8-32) are too large to fit inside a micro diameter shaft, a "half-out" style insert must be used (if you want to stick with 8-32 thread components). A micro diameter half-out by necessity leaves the point/head cantilevered far out in front of the arrow shaft, which makes the half-out more prone to bending or breaking on hard and/or angled impacts. I've also heard of folks having trouble maintaining good alignment with the shaft when installing multi-piece half-outs (like Black Eagle's FOCOS system).

If you're willing to switch to "Deep Six" (6-40) threaded points/heads, you could use a hidden insert (HIT). A HIT sits fully inside the shaft, keeps the point/head closer to the shaft, and will withstand hard/angled impacts better than a half-out. However, there are very few options for Deep Six broadheads.

IMO the supposed juice of a micro diameter arrow (better penetration, less wind drift) isn't worth the squeeze (higher cost, insert dilemma).

A standard diameter (6.5mm/.245") shaft of moderate gpi (like your Black Eagle Outlaws) is my go-to recommendation for a hunting arrow. Such shafts are strong, relatively inexpensive, and compatible with good ol' simple flanged inserts. If you're wanting to go a bit heavier, just add screw-in weights behind the insert.

I'll add-- I've found the BE Spartans to be the perfect balance. They're a .224 ID-- so thinner than standard but not micro-- and capable of accepting BE's stainless steel insert. Much better setup than the half-outs, which have a tendency to become all-the-way-outs if shooting into certain foam targets.

I typically pay attention when @Mighty Mouse posts on archery stuff, what he said about inserts/half outs on the micros is why they don't appeal to me.

I've used Black Eagle Rampage primarily for years. They hit the spine/weight goal I want to get the total arrow weight with a little extra point weight (without being a silly FOC) and you can use HITs and not deal with Deep 6 inserts. Primary nock is they just aren't that durable. I think my next order will be victory RIP TKO arrows which are the same diameter/GPI as the rampages but are supposedly a little tougher. Easton Axis 5mm would be a good option too if one wanted a heavier arrow than you'd get with Rampage or RIP TKOs or is fine with just using less point weight.

I am trying the new easton 6mm sonic 6's this year, with 50 gr brass inserts (250 spines are 9.6gpi). Initial testing seems good but will see how they hold up on the mountain starting in couple weeks. No outserts/collars and extra crap for me, prefer a standard size arrow for hunting as usually to me simple is best plus my indoor range has a bag so makes pulling arrows a breeze.

I am trying the new easton 6mm sonic 6's this year, with 50 gr brass inserts (250 spines are 9.6gpi). Initial testing seems good but will see how they hold up on the mountain starting in couple weeks. No outserts/collars and extra crap for me, prefer a standard size arrow for hunting as usually to me simple is best plus my indoor range has a bag so makes pulling arrows a breeze.
I really wish Easton would expand the 6mm arrows they offer including some with heavier gpi. They’ve made more in the past and I used one that’s been discontinued for a long time.

I really wish Easton would expand the 6mm arrows they offer including some with heavier gpi. They’ve made more in the past and I used one that’s been discontinued for a long time.
I am pretty happy with the specs of these sonic 6s. @9.6gri 250, i get a 29 3/4"c2c arrow set up for hunting with a 526total: 150 BH, 50 insert, 4 fletched heat vanes going 282fps and still over 15%foc if you beileve in that stuff. If shaft durabilty is good this will be best of both worlds for speed and foc...will find out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genevamorman66
Back