Black Bear Tags

Mallardsx2

I was considering going back to SE Alaska in a couple of year. When I went, there was no problem drawing a tag.

HOLY SMOKES....

Apparently, it must have become VERY popular. I don't even think I can draw a tag at this point. Definitely not if we apply as a group.

Good lord the number of applicants has quadrupled in the past 5 years?

Anyone have any clue why this has happened?

Just a total stab in the dark but perhaps all of the hunting media shows over the last 10 years showing how easy it was to do. I could be totally wrong though!!

I still can’t figure out why SE MT has blown up in popularity either…I mean there was a video telling everyone to go there but doubt that had anything to do with it.

Don’t have the hunt regulations/supplemental in front of me. But are there not any registration hunts for black bears in Southeast?

There must registration black bear hunts in other parts of the state if you’re trying to hunt bear in AK.

I was considering going back to SE Alaska in a couple of year. When I went, there was no problem drawing a tag.

HOLY SMOKES....

Apparently, it must have become VERY popular. I don't even think I can draw a tag at this point. Definitely not if we apply as a group.

Good lord the number of applicants has quadrupled in the past 5 years?

Anyone have any clue why this has happened?
I drew in 19' and haven't been successful since 🤷‍♂️

You're not wrong

Well, there are a couple high profile people with a certain high profile 2023 spring bear tag. I wonder if the mash up episodes will finally happen?

There are good otc bear hunts in SE Alaska. There are some draw hunts, but there is plenty of opportunity to hunt bears up there if you don't draw.

Reactions: LCH
There are good otc bear hunts in SE Alaska. There are some draw hunts, but there is plenty of opportunity to hunt bears up there if you don't draw.
I wanted to ask about this but not on the open internet. And definitely don't let the youtubers know about this option. Pm me how the hunting is compared to the draw hunts and anything that is different or to consider when doing it.

I wanted to ask about this but not on the open internet. And definitely don't let the youtubers know about this option. Pm me how the hunting is compared to the draw hunts and anything that is different or to consider when doing it.
I'm going with my wife this year. I think it'll be a good time. We should kill a couple bears. The info isn't that hard to find so I think "youtubers" could find the info relatively easily if they wanted to. There are bears all over the place up there.

Pssssst..... he is "one" 😉

Unit #1 which is the mainland in SE Ak is mostly over the counter tags. Unit's #2 & #3 are draw or guided.

The mainland basically has no roads, so access is by vessel or float plane. It takes some logistical planning but a very good Bear hunt can be put together.

I would say the largest Bears average would be in #1-a ... there are few if any vessel transporters working out of Ketchikan. So a vessel rental or float plane drop off would be required to get out there.

There are still OTC for blackies all over the state. Should be able to find something.

Back