Caribou Gear

Black bear scenario

RidgeRoamingRichard

20210501_163625.jpg
This is a crappy picture of the first bear I've ever seen while hunting. He was about 1200 horizontal yards away and about 800 ft above us. We watched him for a bit and when it looked like he was slowing down, we started a desperate sprint through downfall, trying to cut the distance. We got within a couple hundred yards below him and started hitting the predator call. The wind kept swirling on us however, and we had to pull out. We climbed back out but never did relocate him (it looked like he was heading down to the valley for the night). So, my questions are 1) do I bail on plans and head back out today to be in that spot, that time of day? 2) Is it reasonable to believe he will be back in there next weekend? 3) any tips on not running in there like a kid with buck fever?

Last edited:
It's raining today, I personally don't hunt spring bear in rain, that bear will be in vicinity for a while eating the greenest grass he ca n find. I aways try to post where there is best chance of seeing him but not getting winded.

I've never been able to pattern a bear but I can only hunt bear in the fall. They're looking for food and move around too much. You might have better luck in the spring. It won't hurt to try.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back