black bear age

JKB

So my question is how old is a old black bear? I got my results back last night from the FWP and they estimated it to be 19 years old. Just wondering if that is a old bear?

Sorry all I got were some crappy cell phone pics. Got some others but there was to much blood to post on here. This is my Spring 2010 Montana bear.

Last edited:
I just got my age card back from FWP for last years bear...he was 12. The oldest bear I've ever killed was 20. The biologist(Graham Taylor) wrote on the card it was the oldest bear aged in the state that year. It's pretty cool to find out how old they are.

I thought it was pretty cool also. I didnt know they did that until I got the card in the mail Yesterday.

i killed a bear a few years ago, it was aged at 31-35, likely 33 years old with an 'A' cut, is what they told me. the bear was bald from the ears forward, the canine teeth were just nubs, missing several other teeth.

yes your bear is old at 19, especially if its a boar.

We killed one like that too Orion... bald, hardly any teeth and NO sharp ones... never got him aged but I'm sure he was over 20!

Yes, 19 is Old... no doubt! (by the way, a little blood doesn't bother us)

haha... Just got hammered on another site before for putting bloody pics on the internet, and yes it was a hunting web site. Something about not giving animal lovers something elese to complain about or something.

You know, anti-hunters aren't going to like ANY pic of an animal on the ground blood or not, so someone whining about your pics is dumb. Yes, I try to minimize the blood, put the tongue back in, etc etc, not to appease antis, just to make a nicer picture.

I just realized, they didn't even pull a tooth out of my bear this year.

drahthaar, when I checked my bear this spring they took a tooth but they told me they were no longer aging bears due to a lack of funding. They said my tooth would likely reside in a warehouse somewhere forever.

First bear I killed with my bow in MT was a mid-20's sow.. Lost the card a long time ago, and can't remember the exact age... but she was older than I was at the time. Funny thing is, that the skull is sitting on my desk next to me right now, and the teeth are definitley more worn than the other 4 next to it, but nothing like what Greenhorn's picture on the other thread was. Makes me wonder if fish and game got the age right, or if possible the taxidermist got my skull switched when he cleaned it. I would bet the taxidermist goofed it up, as it took him over a year from the time I picked up my rug to find the grizzly skull I left with him.

First bear I killed with my bow in MT was a mid-20's sow.. Lost the card a long time ago, and can't remember the exact age... but she was older than I was at the time. Funny thing is, that the skull is sitting on my desk next to me right now, and the teeth are definitley more worn than the other 4 next to it, but nothing like what Greenhorn's picture on the other thread was. Makes me wonder if fish and game got the age right, or if possible the taxidermist got my skull switched when he cleaned it. I would bet the taxidermist goofed it up, as it took him over a year from the time I picked up my rug to find the grizzly skull I left with him.

I went back and scored my first bears skull not too long ago. The bear squared a little over five foot. The skull scores real close to 19". Some guy somewhere is really surprised how small his huge bear's skull ended up being.

I went back and scored my first bears skull not too long ago. The bear squared a little over five foot. The skull scores real close to 19". Some guy somewhere is really surprised how small his huge bear's skull ended up being.

That is hilarious.

They are still pulling teeth here..I hope they continue to age them, it is fun to get the report back. Oldest one I have been on, is a 23 year old sow. My college roomate from South Dakota shot her, and she was only a hair over 5'.

The oldest I have killed was 21. My buddy's wife killed one that year that was 25. Here are there photos. I wish I would of taken a few photos of the teeth, they were worn down... Those are the two oldest bears we have taken. The biggest bear we have taken was aged at 9.
IMG_1188.JPG
IMG_1239.JPG

Thanks, I was a little scared cause the guy who did it qouted me a really cheap price and did it in like four months. but when I went and picked it up I was very happy with how it turned out. :D

Oldest bruins I've been around are a 19 year old boar I took, and a friend with took a 22 year old sow with me and then another friend took a 29 year old sow. That's a lot of years for a critter living out there and trying to make a living..

Back