Bitterroot Wolf 10(j)

Good luck, but I wouldn't count on it happening too soon. I know Idaho was at the same stage a bit back with a 10(j) proposal in the Lolo and that hunt hasn't happened yet to the best of my knowledge. I wouldn't be surprised though if ours was put on hold due to the current state of wolf politics over here.

Always someone peeing on the fire;):D Momma always said I was a dreamer.

I hope you guys get it done, just like I hope we get ours done as well.

This wolf issue has most of us grasping on to any bit of hope. Push for everything and hope something sticks.

Oh Goody I always wanted to be a "Special Agent". Crittergitter gas up the truck were going lobo hunting.:D

Working up some special wolf loads for the AR............should be fun:) So, is there a map published that shows the boundary of where they will be able to be shot? Hoping there is a 100 mile "grey area" around it:):):D

Working up some special wolf loads for the AR............should be fun:) So, is there a map published that shows the boundary of where they will be able to be shot? Hoping there is a 100 mile "grey area" around it:):):D

Just remember, shots to the guts don't really count. If you accidentally hit one too far back.....you get to shoot another!

Great news for you guys down the root...if it ever happens...hard to be too hopefull with the way things have gone so far with all the litigation. But then again I am still hopefull we will get some kind of spring wolf season.

I heard a quick news blurb about this on the radio this PM, which said something like "Wildlife advocates will have issues with this". Of course the context was that the wildlife advocates were wolf ("loving") advocates. I find it interesting that the best historical advocates of wildlife, hunters, may be directly involved in the actual management action for this species, while the so called advocates will most likely be indoors yakking and litigating about the issue. And when (optimistic) the state takes over management of wolves, I doubt the "advocates" will be pitching in $$ towards the on the ground mgmt. Hunters have always picked up the bill as well as the heavy lifting of wildlife conservation. Hopefully we'll be the heavy lifters when it comes to wolves. We have em, they ain't going away, so best they be legally and biologically (maybe a reach on this one) managed like other game animals.

Get your comments in, only one more day!!

April 11, 2011

To Whom it may Concern,

On behalf of the Montana Wildlife Federation (MWF), our over 7,500 members and 23 affiliated Rod and Gun Clubs, we respectfully submit the following comments in support of the proposed action for the Environmental Assessment regarding the Proposed Gray Wolf Management by the State of Montana in the West Fork of the Bitterroot, Elk Hunting District 250. Montana Wildlife Federation has for over 75 years worked tirelessly to build, maintain and grow Montana’s wildlife legacy and fair chase hunting and angling heritage. With new challenges facing Montana’s wildlife and wildlife habitats, MWF firmly believes that exercising all applicable opportunities to maintain not only hunter opportunity, but providing for the continued propagation of all wildlife is necessary in order to pass down our over 100 year history of sustainable stewardship of both predator and prey populations for the benefit of the ecosystems, and the people who live, work and play in these shared landscapes.

Currently, the West Fork of the Bitterroot Elk herd is severely under its objective range of 1600 – 2400 Elk. While a number of factors have led to this decline, only the wolf is the unmanaged condition. Hunter opportunity has been severely curtailed over the last 2-3 seasons, habitat management projects are in full swing, and more liberal seasons for mountain lion and black bear have been developed. Yet calf/cow numbers (9-11/100) remain precipitously low, and bull/cow numbers (4/100) as well show signs of unsustainability for this once iconic elk herd. The overall herd count of 744-863 is more than 50% below the minimum herd objective of 1600. The data is clear: Elk in the West Fork of the Bitterroot are failing at an alarming rate. MWF’s concern is that if immediate action is not taken on all fronts, then this population of elk will no longer exist without even more drastic action.

MWF strongly supports the use of hunter conservationists utilizing fair chase hunting methods as the agents of the state designated for wolf removal under this proposal. Not only does a using hunter conservationist reduce the cost of wolf removal, but it also provides for more hunter opportunity, and it gives the hunter conservationist a real and measured stake in wolf conservation as well as elk conservation. Hunter Conservationists have been the primary agent of Conservation funding for the last 100 years in Montana, and Nationwide. It is critical to maintain that valued and accepted role in working towards increasing the Elk Herd in EMU 250 back to its objective levels. Hunter Conservationists are the most effective agents of wildlife management when it comes to cost effectiveness, efficiency and ethical use of the wildlife resource. To include them in this proposal is to continue the most successful conservation model ever devised: The North American Model of Fish and Wildlife Conservation. We applaud Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks for their continued application of this model.

MWF further supports the application of this proposal over a five year period where real results can be measured and adaptations to the plan can be made based on hunter harvest, ingress and egress of wolves, new pack dynamics and a host of other issues. Unless continued application of the proposal is allowed, the one time removal of wolves from EMU 250 will only cause more wolves to move in to the area, keeping elk numbers artificially depressed. Continued application will allow calf elk the ability to grow, and replace older age cow elk as their reproductive ability is reduced, and it further more allows for more bull elk to stay in the genetic lineage, creating better bull/cow ratios needed to grow this herd back to it’s objective.

Finally, MWF firmly believes that this proposal is only one management option in the entire suite of applications that can and are being utilized to restore the West Fork of the Bitterroot Elk Herd. Continued use of habitat management programs, reduced hunter harvest during this project, and continued take of Mountain Lions and Black Bear will be necessary to create an environment where elk will flourish again.
The West Fork of the Bitterroot is one of Montana’s premier hunting grounds. It is wild, rugged country, where hunters have to work hard for each and every trophy is the goal of this proposal. Maintaining elk populations at or above objective in this area will not only help support hunter opportunity, but it will help support a genetically diverse and viable wolf population in the future. While the Northern Rockies Distinct Population Segment of Grey Wolves remains listed well beyond the metrics of delisting have been met, the unchecked growth of wolves is starting to impact ungulates herds in a negative manner. This proposal, because of politics and policies, is the only tool available to Montana’s wildlife managers that seems to meet the approval of the Federal Overseers, and there fore is the best option available to restore this once trophy herd.

MWF is thankful to Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks for working with local stakeholders such as the Bitterroot Elk Working group and our stalwart affiliate, Ravalli County Fish and Wildlife Association in crafting a proposal that will meet the needs of the Elk population, hunter opportunity, and maintain a viable population of wolves in the West Fork.. We are also greatly appreciative of the U.S Fish and Wildlife Service to making this project a priority, and moving it forward in a timely manner.

Respectfully submitted,
Ben Lamb
Conservation Director for State and National Issues
Montana Wildlife Federation
P.O. Box 1175
Helena, MT 59601
(406) 437-3558 xtn 108
[email protected]

CC:
Senator Max Baucus
Senator Jon Tester
Governor Brian Schweitzer