Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bison hunt

MaddH

Anybody done a bison hunt that isn’t a canned hunt ? Wife needs to change her diet and Buffalo would fit her criteria. Figured I might as well throw in a “hunt” to get one. Don’t really want to walk in to a pasture and shoot one. Any thoughts ?

No ranches around where I live. I understand it’s not going to be a ”real” hunt but would at least like it to be entertaining. Just want a nice cow

No ranches around where I live. I understand it’s not going to be a ”real” hunt but would at least like it to be entertaining. Just want a nice cow
It will be a "real" hunt in that once the animal is down ... then the "real" work begins. That oughta keep you "entertained" for awhile.
Good luck to you and good eating to the wife.

Anybody done a bison hunt that isn’t a canned hunt ? Wife needs to change her diet and Buffalo would fit her criteria. Figured I might as well throw in a “hunt” to get one. Don’t really want to walk in to a pasture and shoot one. Any thoughts ?
Very limited opportunities, and very low odds. Some of the tribes in various states offer “hunts”, with varying degrees of “hunt” involved. Might be worth investigating to see if any might provide an acceptable experience for you.

#1 Drive to West Yellowstone
#2 Check your car insurance
#3 Buy a road kill salvage tag

I know this is a joke but they aren't allowing salvage on bison. I saw a post suggesting it is in reference to brucellosis rules but that could be internet fake news

I was surprised but not shocked when I saw the odds for the Montana Bison tags this year. Some of the units were over 10k apps.

Canned hunts are probably your best bet. There used to be a couple of places in Montana where you could shoot a 2yr bull or cows for less than 2k.

I had a great experience with my Bison hunt. It took four hours to skin and gut it in 20 degree weather.

It was a many thousand acre piece of land that has us driving around d for hours before we found the herd. We drove into the middle in his white Tacoma, with bulls and cows surrounding us while we worked out which one was the bison we wanted. It took maybe 8-10 minutes to push that one out of the herd into an isolated spot here I could take a shot without endangering others.

I used the hood of the truck as a rest and at around 48 yards put a round behind the shoulder followed closely by a second.

“He’s done. Give him a minute.” About 20 seconds later the bull kinda took a step, stumbled slightly and laid down. My guide lit a cigarette and leaned back, blowing smoke in the cold.

“shame the road is so bad we can’t get the front loader up here”. He said as he flicked the butt away.

Yeah. It’s all of that.

Grocery Shopping with a gun.

I wish that wasn’t the case, but that’s it. I took home 400#+ of meat…so there’s that.

Local ranch sells "hunts" but disclaim that these are not wild bison and are raised as meat. Last check a cow hunt was $4500, bull was $9500 and $2000 extra if bull scores top 5 SCI which they measure them all in summer before hunts start. Not sure what cost included as far as processing/accomidations but would expect most things to be in addition to the hunt fee plus tips. The indian hunts would be lowest absolutley on my list to do, i wouldnt expect either great meat or experiances from those hunts. Sure glad i live in a place that has let me shot a "wild" one!

As stated before, bison don't move too much. Short of hitting the mini lottery and drawing a tag for one, your best bet is probably a ranch or a tribe. If you want more of an experience out of it than just the meat, look into a tribal hunt. See if you can meet with some tribal leaders or elders before your hunt and learn about how they use the bison and what they mean to their people.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back