Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bird pics

33712701978_22b5b1eacf_h.jpg

Awesome pics as always. Especially your most recent sage grouse pic!

Wow!. There are anatomical details shown in that photo that you would not even be able to see if the bird was in your hand. Very impressive quality and timing of that photo.

Scaling down in size a little, here's a female Downy Woodpecker on the left and the very similar but larger male Hairy Woodpecker on the right feeding on moose legs. Also the diminutive Golden-crowned Kinglet on elk suet.

Downy-&-Hairy-Woodpeckers-o.jpgGolden-crowned Kinglet.jpg

Exciting news is that a male American Dipper that arrived in early April to claim a nest box on the stream in front of the cabin has found a mate. One week ago they began nest building. Each morning and evening they display and sing a lively duet, then add streamside mosses to the box. Recent snow storms have slowed the progress but they seem to be a solid pair, copulating copiously. We're able to watch this from our dining table. Here's a pic I took of the box on the stream a few minutes ago, and another from a previous year of a pair passing nest material. I don't want to disturb them much at this stage. I do plan to band the adults once the eggs are laid, and later the young prior to fledging. I believe dipper populations have been slowly recovering since the big flood of 2013.

River fishermen may be familiar with dippers. American Dippers (Cinclus mexicanus) are North America's only aquatic songbird. They live on mountain streams throughout the west. Dippers can dive and fly under rushing waters to walk along the bottom for aquatic insects. Many times I've watched them capture small trout to feed their young at the nest. They build a domed cavity nest of mosses on ledges overhanging moving water. The Dipper Box is one I designed ~35 years ago and I have placed them on mountain streams throughout Colorado. Dippers are one of my favorite birds!

This summer I plan to place dipper boxes in Switzerland, France and Italy for the European White-throated Dipper. Should be an adventure.

Begin-nest-building-5-2-19.jpg

Beautiful images guys! I don't know why but I rarely check the photo section of the forums. It doesn't make any sense seeing as I spend five or more days a week with a camera in my hands. Here's a few of mine over the last month.

Attachments

• Goose.jpg
    Goose.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 11
  • GHO.jpg
    GHO.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 12
  • Redwing.jpg
    Redwing.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 13
  • Turk.jpg
    Turk.jpg