Caribou Gear Tarp

bird dogs,,,,,,,,

Here is my 1 year old, 2 in July, runt (<30lbs) vizsla on a pair of huns. 4 pairs that day a couple weeks ago, we are done running birds for the year.

1BB468BE-1B4F-413E-98DC-26E285FB9C73.png

She works fast, ranges 100s of yards, sometimes out of range of the Dogtra GPS I use (I should really get a Garmin), and holds point until the end of time or I release her.

I’ve never played any pigeon games with her. I have never shot anything over her. I would have had I needed to but showing her birds and running with my older dog was enough. Good genetics. I just fly a falcon over her. My older dog, a WPG and wonderful hunter, tho getting older at 11 recently, did not point a single bird that the pup wasn’t already pointing this most recent season and hasn’t since the young one was probably 6 months old.

Nothing like a good dog.

Thanks for sharing pics. I just can't hunt birds without a dog either.

My labrador is broke down at almost 10 years old...she can't hunt anymore, but can lay around, wag her tail, take a crap on her own, and bark at an occasional stranger. Difficult decisions are coming, but for now, I enjoy her company.

Tried my little Jack Russel Terrier on birds, but that little demon tears them into pieces. He's got mad hunt and kill drive. Even fishing, he turns into a freaking otter when the fish get close to shore and kills them. Might take him elk hunting this year!

Researching breeds and breeders. GWP, Drahts, Pudelpointers, WPGs, etc.View attachment 197561View attachment 197562
Beautiful old lab. Only thing better than a new puppy is an old dog! Got a litter of Red Setter's out of my Stormy due in Yakima, Wash either the 13th or 15th of this month. Gonna make a couple trips up there to see the pup's and leave my wallet at home!

Stormy and his son, Snicker, on Snickers first back!
urU3OUjh.jpg

Last edited:
I talked to wife last night and I think I’m done with big dogs. Now that we are traveling more small dogs are just way nicer to share the cab with. Wonder if you can still find a cocker spaniel that hunts.
Yes you can. Go to Face Book look up field bred cockers. What you are looking for is true English bred cockers. My memory not any good anymore or I'd give you a name. lady's dad, I think dad, is a huge name in E. Pointers, HUGE! But looks like about all they do any more is English cockers.

My labrador is broke down at almost 10 years old...she can't hunt anymore, but can lay around, wag her tail, take a crap on her own, and bark at an occasional stranger. Difficult decisions are coming, but for now, I enjoy her company.

Tried my little Jack Russel Terrier on birds, but that little demon tears them into pieces. He's got mad hunt and kill drive. Even fishing, he turns into a freaking otter when the fish get close to shore and kills them. Might take him elk hunting this year!

Researching breeds and breeders. GWP, Drahts, Pudelpointers, WPGs, etc.View attachment 197561View attachment 197562
Dang your lab is a sweet looking old girl.

Max my hunting buddy. I can’t wait till Fall. I just retired, and we are going to be giving them hell this Fall. 😀😀

View attachment 227990View attachment 227993View attachment 227995
Great pics! I strongly suggest you switch his ID tag to one that rivets directly on the collar. The dangly things just wear out and fall off. Also, I have found two fancy orange dog collars tangled in the fence when bird hunting. The ID tags got caught in wire splices. Luckily the dogs were able to get loose. I returned both collars in the mail with the same suggestion for the owners.

Great pics! I strongly suggest you switch his ID tag to one that rivets directly on the collar. The dangly things just wear out and fall off. Also, I have found two fancy orange dog collars tangled in the fence when bird hunting. The ID tags got caught in wire splices. Luckily the dogs were able to get loose. I returned both collars in the mail with the same suggestion for the owners.
Yep,we left a dog tag in South Dakota, and one in Idaho, i had a really good connector on the last one to.

Order your collars from Gundog Supply, they do not charge additional to put a name-plate and owner info on the collars. I saved a dog that got caught by his dangling tags that were attached to his CHOKE CHAIN....dog tags caught on a tomato stake-cord, dog pulled, choked and panicked and about broke his own neck....luckily I heard the panick over the neighbors fence jumped over and cut him free.

Another with dangling tags laid down on a patio and the tag fell between the boards and turned sideways, locking the friends dog down. Dog flipped out....easy fix, but dog tried like hell to bite me.

Its the little mistakes that can kill dogs.....stay vigilant

Good luck and safe hunting this season

Give the Airedale a thought. Smart, independent, and just recently have been allowed by AKC to compete against retrievers, not just spaniels. And are doing well in competition.

Nameplates are cheap..$3 from GunDogSupply.com.
I bought 10 of them and use them on everything I value from my otter box, truck keys, binocs, etc.
NamePlates.jpg

Nameplates are cheap..$3 from GunDogSupply.com.
I bought 10 of them and use them on everything I value from my otter box, truck keys, binocs, etc.
View attachment 228233
Thanks. Our local PetSmart store's supplier stopped making rivet on ID tags ... no doubt because they don't fall off and require replacement. Theirs were $17!! GunDog will be getting an order from me today. I need a couple tags for my gun cases.

Here’s my two old guys. They can’t handle long hunts anymore. Currently in the research stages of my new bird dog. We are leaning towards a Brittany just for the size of them for traveling with us although I’m partial to the “ugly dogs” like the griffons and wire hairs
View attachment 197558
Flush um high kennels in Glendive has a few right now. They were great to work with.

Back