Bird Dog Affordable Options?

BT_NVhunter

So I’m looking for a bird dog but not a man who can go out and drop 12-1500 dollars on a pup and then go cover all the training expenses. I’m looking for ideas on what to look for I noticed quite a few pups of mix breed that I could possibly afford, has anyone had experience with mix pups and training or anyone that may be in an affordable range for a pup?

I feel your pain. I was on a puppy waiting list for over a year when the breeder upped his price from $1200 to $1800, supposedly due to Covid. I told him that was too spendy for me and bailed out. If you watch classifieds, you will find non-papered pure breeds usually down around $600.

I feel your pain. I was on a puppy waiting list for over a year when the breeder upped his price from $1200 to $1800, supposedly due to Covid. I told him that was too spendy for me and bailed out. If you watch classifieds, you will find non-papered pure breeds usually down around $600.
I got non papered pure bred labs for $200 a piece due to an issue in a divorce between the breeders where the wife wouldn't give up the paperwork to the breeding husband for the father, so only the mother was papered to a different family for the bitch.

Ya I have seen some labxgsp and labxenglish setter mixes for 4-500 and I’m seriously considering that option

My lab isn’t papered but pure bred. Both his parents hunt and was $600. I think both parents hunting is a big thing in helping the puppy be a bird dog

Get involved in your local bird dog training club and get the word out that you’re interested. I’ve seen more than one really good bird dog that needed to be re homed due to unforeseen issues ie owner health, divorce, transfer due to work etc. Know of two that were simply gifted to the right owner.

Be patient with this and do it right. If one doesn’t fall into your lap, pick up some extra work and have a garage sale and budget so you can afford the right animal. It’s a ten’ish year commitment and it’s a whole lot easier when you have what you’re looking for.

Ya I’ve tried finding even just people listed as trainers around Elko NV and have come up with zeros and no club that I’ve been able to find? We’ll see I guess I’m trying to be patient and just watch classifieds but also want to have the summer to work with them.

The price of a puppy is not the major expense over the life of a dog. Save your money until you can buy something well bred.

If costs every bit as much to feed and care for a mutt as it does a well bred dog.

I have a 4 1/2 month old gsp female that cost 700 and is akc registered. She just had her first quail shot over her today. She is coming along very well and is a great family dog as well. Both of her parents are good hunters. It was a repeat breeding that has produced good pups. I'm doing the training mostly myself. Theres a trainer somewhat local to me that I'm going to work with some just to make sure I'm keeping her on track. As far as what to look for, I would decide what breed I want then find some prospective breeders in the price range you can afford. Then go meet the parents and see what they are like and if you like them. Then once you find a litter and it comes to picking a pup, let it pick you. The pup we got wasn't either of the ones we had in mind looking at pictures. There was 8 pups and our pup was the only one interested in us. She just wanted to be with us and was sweet and mellow. That's never changed. If you have any questions or anything send me a message

The price of a puppy is not the major expense over the life of a dog. Save your money until you can buy something well bred.

If costs every bit as much to feed and care for a mutt as it does a well bred dog.
This is so true, say a 1200 dollar dog lives 12 years is only 100 bucks a year. Buy a dog with no health clearances and you can be spending way more than that on vet bills.

I think you can get a good health clearance registered pup for 1000. I don’t want sound like a dick but if you can’t afford that maybe you shouldn’t get a pup.

As far as mix breed dogs I’ve seen a couple of dynamite Lab/GSP crosses.
My lab/GSP has been a hell of a good dog.
Both of my dogs were clearance puppies, but they came from family friends that we know are good trainers and breeders after we had a lot of experience with their dogs.

Hells bells guiding three or four days a week I spent a couple k on each dogs vet bills, every year and it was always a call out for the vet. I don’t think I made more then 2 or 3 bucks an hour. Sure love the GSP!

This is so true, say a 1200 dollar dog lives 12 years is only 100 bucks a year. Buy a dog with no health clearances and you can be spending way more than that on vet bills.

I think you can get a good health clearance registered pup for 1000. I don’t want sound like a dick but if you can’t afford that maybe you shouldn’t get a pup.
No I didn’t take it dickly lol. I can afford that it’s that plus the other expenses on top that I worry about. I did notice a lot of the breeders in that 1000 to 1200 range did have 26mnth breeder health guarantee so I guess in the long run I could avoid a costly vet bill by paying more out the gate appreciate all the input guys thanks.

I was going to respond with this same exact answer. Plan on every year encountering some type of surprise vet visit with a hunting dog.

I've been extremely lucky with my golden retriever's 13 years to have one emergency vet bill after an encounter with a porcupine. Other encounters she's had that could have turned disastrous include a vehicle, two coyotes, numerous feral pigs, rattlesnakes and livestock. All that to say, be prepared for anything to happen to a working dog in the field.

I was going to respond with this same exact answer. Plan on every year encountering some type of surprise vet visit with a hunting dog.

I've been extremely lucky with my golden retriever's 13 years to have one emergency vet bill after an encounter with a porcupine. Other encounters she's had that could have turned disastrous include a vehicle, two coyotes, numerous feral pigs, rattlesnakes and livestock. All that to say, be prepared for anything to happen to a working dog in the field.
So do you have insurance on your pet? If so which pet insurance route did you go?

Thanks to COVID, people being locked up and the sudden need for a dog, Labrador puppies have been going for £3-4k each in the UK. That's not even health tested, hip scored parents or from working lines, just people breeding to make some money.

So true. Also vet bill ~$100 per year and dog food ~$150 per year would total > $3,000 for 13 years.

A dog with no heath clearances and genetic-related joint problems might be a risky investment.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back