Bipod for Sheep

Carl 9.3x62

Thinking about/planning a future sheep hunt and wondering about bipods. Whats everyone's opinion on using a bipod for sheep hunting? Is worth the extra weight or is it better to just a backpack or something? Assuming the hunt is a back country backpack hunt.

maginnis

I have never packed the bipod in the backcountry on a sheep hunt because of the extra weight. I pray for a nice shot with time on my side where I can get rested on a tree, rock or backpack. I hope those aren't my famous last words.

Bambistew

Bipods are nice, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've used one on a hunt. I've never used one sheep hunting. I use my pack, a rock, or turn my spotting scope sideways and use the tripod/scope as a rest. For me shots have always been under 400 yards, most in the 250 yard range.

mthillrunner

This past fall I carried a small bungee strap that’s just a small loop with a plastic knob on it. When time came for a shot I just made an x with my hiking sticks & wrapped the bungee around it. Worked just fine. I would not have wanted to carry a bipod

EYJONAS!

You won't even be thinking about a bipod come time for your sheep hunt. Unless they may a 1oz. Bipod I wouldn't waste your time packing the extra weight. Plus I think they're in the way more times then not. In sheep country you'll be able to find a good rest with the terrain around you.

FAIR CHASE

I hate the extra weight of a bipod hanging off the end of any rifle. I do like this style of bipod for occasional use ....

FishN4Eyes

Guess I'm a bit in the minority but I've used this on two sheep hunts and was very pleased.

They aren't cheap but they have worked pretty dang well for me and I was glad I had it.

Will be using it this July in the NWT as well.

Brentc

I shoot from a bipod most of the time at the range and hunting. On my sheep rifle I use a Javelin Spartan. It's light, attaches easily, and fits nicely into a leg pocket. For my standard hunting rifles I use a Modular Evolution or Atlas. They are both a bit heavier than the javelin, but they are rock solid with a little preload.