Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bipod for Sheep

Carl 9.3x62

Thinking about/planning a future sheep hunt and wondering about bipods. Whats everyone's opinion on using a bipod for sheep hunting? Is worth the extra weight or is it better to just a backpack or something? Assuming the hunt is a back country backpack hunt.

I have never packed the bipod in the backcountry on a sheep hunt because of the extra weight. I pray for a nice shot with time on my side where I can get rested on a tree, rock or backpack. I hope those aren't my famous last words.

This past fall I carried a small bungee strap that’s just a small loop with a plastic knob on it. When time came for a shot I just made an x with my hiking sticks & wrapped the bungee around it. Worked just fine. I would not have wanted to carry a bipod

You won't even be thinking about a bipod come time for your sheep hunt. Unless they may a 1oz. Bipod I wouldn't waste your time packing the extra weight. Plus I think they're in the way more times then not. In sheep country you'll be able to find a good rest with the terrain around you.

I hate the extra weight of a bipod hanging off the end of any rifle. I do like this style of bipod for occasional use ....

ORzXcfF.jpg

Thanks guys. Pretty much confirmed what i had already been thinking. Probably leave the bipod at home.

Guess I'm a bit in the minority but I've used this on two sheep hunts and was very pleased.

They aren't cheap but they have worked pretty dang well for me and I was glad I had it.

Will be using it this July in the NWT as well.

I shoot from a bipod most of the time at the range and hunting. On my sheep rifle I use a Javelin Spartan. It's light, attaches easily, and fits nicely into a leg pocket. For my standard hunting rifles I use a Modular Evolution or Atlas. They are both a bit heavier than the javelin, but they are rock solid with a little preload.

Guess I'm a bit in the minority but I've used this on two sheep hunts and was very pleased.

They aren't cheap but they have worked pretty dang well for me and I was glad I had it.

Will be using it this July in the NWT as well.
I'm new to this forum, and also work as a rep for Spartan Precision Equipment. Thank you for sharing your positive experience with our Javelin bipod!

Hey Guys! I'm a new member to this forum, and also work for one of the companies you guys mentioned (Spartan Precision Equipment). If you don't want to pack a bipod into the backcountry, Have you ever thought about shooting off your tripod?

We talked to enough hunters who wanted to pare down their gear as much as possible, and that's why we designed the Sentinel tripod to pull double duty as a glassing platform and shooting rest. Have any of you used this before?

tri.jpg

I have taken most of the worlds sheep, some a couple of times. I did this decades ago before most of our modern gear was available. I tried a bipod on one trip and discarded it after a couple days. Most of my sheep hunting shots have been around or over rocks and the bipod just got in my way. My hand, coat, hat or day pack worked fine for me. also extra weight at extreme altitude seems to weigh a ton. I recall hunting Marco Polo sheep in Tajikistan 15000 - 17000 feet altitude l carried nothing that was not absolutely necessary. Just one old mans thoughts, kindest regards

Kurt Racicot from Stone Glacier has a piccatinny rail attachement on both his rifle and spotter. He can remove spotter and attach the rifle to his tripod to shoot. I forget which brand it is but he covers it in this video.
I don't know what he uses exactly but I use a Bison Tactical adapter for this purpose, it's great for my needs.

I’ve been meaning to try something similar. I hate every option I’ve ever found for sitting shots in tall brush.
That's exactly what I bought it for, it's not the quickest to deploy but very stable. With a pack as a "rear bag" and the tripod up front you can get pretty darn steady. Sitting height bipods give up far too much in functionality and bulk IMO.

That's exactly what I bought it for, it's not the quickest to deploy but very stable. With a pack as a "rear bag" and the tripod up front you can get pretty darn steady. Sitting height bipods give up far too much in functionality and bulk IMO.
I’ll have to try it out. I hate sitting height bipods, they’re just not stable enough for me to deal with hauling one around.

My pard, who has shot 4 sheep and couple auodad always has a bipod on his rifle. Then again, he uses it for everything so it's like second nature to him. If you go this route, be sure to get one that can tilt and swivel. Makes it much easier to use on uneven and steep ground.

Back